Lowest prices for your stay
RM 575
Fully refundable before Thu, 29 Feb
No prepayment needed
Destinia.com
RM 514
All reviews crystal ballroom zeus cafe soaking pool private bathroom rooms share street noise king room restaurant downstairs lyrics earplugs sink zues neighborhood
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 April 2023 via mobile

I stayed here for our 1 night trip to see a show at the Crystal Ballroom. It was perfect! We arrived, unloaded, parked down the block and never moved the car once. We pre-gamed at Zeus—the restaurant downstairs. Our rooms had super comfy beds, cool music themed furnishings (my room Wrecking Ball had Emmylou Harris lyrics painted on the wall), a beautiful bed and chandelier and a handy sink, mirror and fluffy towels and bathrobes. They also provide earplugs if the intermittent street noise is a bother. We never to had to wait to use a bathroom (there are 4 on each floor), so not having one in the room was a non issue. After sipping some complimentary high quality Portland coffee in the lobby, I soaked in the soaking pool (a big long hot tub in the basement) to get myself in the proper mood for the drive home. The Crystal Hotel was excellent! I will be back.

Room tip: Park at the garage down the street for only $20 for a whole day.
Date of stay: April 2023
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2023

This can be a destintion location. Find a concert at the Crystal Ballroom that you'd like & make a weekend of it by staying at Crystal Hotel. The Zues Cafe has one of the better menus that I've seen at McMennamin locations.We got the breakfast package which is a great deal. We had the Zues Benedicts... delicious! Many cool bars & venues to explore!

Room tip: Check out the soaking pool!
Date of stay: February 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2022

Lots of character, small rooms and shared bathrooms though. The location was pretty good lots of places to walk to. The staff was kind enough to help us find parking and the guy who was working the evening we arrived was really helpful. Now the not so great… in the morning we were getting ready to check out and I discovered a capsule just under the foot of the bed, the capsule contained a off white powered. This is concerning because clearly the cleaning was not the greatest that this was missed, secondly when I brought it to the attention of the front desk the guy did really seem to care. So all in all night shift guy was great, morning guy not so good, cleaning not great either. Kind of disappointing way to end the stay

Date of stay: August 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2022

The location was great. That and the Zeus Cafe are by far the best parts of the stay. The queen sized room is uncomfortably small, dark, awkward and the majority of the rooms have NO PRIVATE BATHROOM.

Not only that but the public bathrooms also have no fans in them (or at least the ones on the floor I stayed at didn't). Which means if someone else on your floor just took a giant dump and now you need to shower -- you're showering in that poop smell. This sad event happened to me. There is a window in the bathroom I showered in that I tried to open but you have to be at least 6 foot 5 in order to reach it and sadly I am not that tall to even try to reach the window.

If you're someone that's going to this hotel solely because you enjoy the historic atmosphere and love McMenamin's food then this is an absolute fine hotel. If you're like me and were hoping for like a hotel that's up to standards of the 21st century then this is a disaster. The only reason I booked at this location was because I was here with friends. I think it's a little ridiculous to be charging as much as they do for rooms with way less amenities than the average hotel. For what I paid I could have stayed at the Mark Spencer down the street and had a way more pleasant time with no poop smell shower. If I had only known ahead of time what the terrors of a shared toilet would mean I would have done such. So I'm writing this review to help others avoid my mistake.

The staff is nice but a little awkward. I had paid extra for the romance package and the person behind the desk declared "oh the ROMANCE package?" (which was 1, supposed to be a surprise to my partner and 2, did not need to be loudly declared to everyone in the check-in area) with a particular attitude behind the words that left both my partner and I feeling uncomfortable. It felt like a judgement on us even though I know it was not intended as such.

The air conditioning worked great though which I appreciated in this heatwave.

Room tip: Don't get a queen room if you want your own bathroom. Or stay somewhere else.
Date of stay: August 2022
2  Thank shelleshelleshe
Reviewed 4 November 2021

The Crystal Hotel put us in the downtown scene. The staff was always helpful and the room was spacious and very funky. Downstairs, Al's Den has a speakeasy feel, serving McMenamins' signature brews (the Ramblin' Amber Rye was my favorite), wines and ciders. We had the Tiki themed soaking pool to ourselves and could relax in the warm water as long as we wanted.
The neighborhood was a hub of quirky fun, and it was not far from the art and history museums or numerous local food trucks. Zeus' Cafe has a simple menu packed with creative locally-sourced selections like the truffle tatter tots with black garlic aioli and pecorino romano.
We could have used some more light in our room, especially late night and pre-dawn, but overall we loved staying in a historic hotel that has been so loved by it's owners.

Room tip: Some rooms have shared baths. Get a room with it's own bath.
Date of stay: October 2021