“Organic, Fresh, classic Japanese”
Review of chef naoko bento cafe - CLOSED

chef naoko bento cafe
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 21 July 2015

Exceptionally fresh and local ingredients, menu is mostly bento boxes. Menu constantly changes to reflect market conditions. Tiny interior; excellent service every time. Close to Portland Art Museum. We go often for lunch but they are now open also at dinnertime.

There are newer reviews for chef naoko bento cafe

Reviewed 13 July 2015

We had Dinner here. The food was REALLY good and well prepared. The place is not very big and so close quarters. The lighting is low and somewhat makes it difficult to see. Parking is like most places around downtown Portland. We ended up parking 2 blocks away.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

There is something about a bento box that draws me to them. May be it is the box, may it is a bit of this, a bit of that. According to Wiki, "Bento" originates from the Southern Song Dynasty slang term 便當 (pinyin: biàndāng), meaning "convenient" or "convenience." When imported to Japan, it was written with the ateji 便道, 辨道, and 辨當.[2] In shinjitai, 辨當 is written as 弁当. However, Virtual Culture stated that -- The word bento is often said to have originated with a sixteenth-century military commander named Oda Nobunaga (1534-82), who fed the large numbers of people at his castle by having food handed out to each individual.

Regardless its origin, thank God there is Bento lunch. Plus the Chef is a woman. I am all for girl power. I found this place via Tripadvisor again. It is an organic restaurant, so you cannot beat that. A small place with only a few table and one table outside. It instantly reminds me of a small place in a small town. Greeted by a Japanese lady who thought I am Japanese, there were three other tables at lunch time, and two of them were Japanese. I thought that is a good sign.

I had the Tonkasu- Panko Coated Pork Chop Bento Box, and my companion ordered Teriyaki Chicken Bento Box, $15 each. It tasted superb. The salad was great too.

This place closes on Sunday and Monday, and open from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm for lunch. Only open for dinner from Wednesday to Friday from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm. The place also does take out and delivers as well.

I wish I live in Portland, I would be a regular if I am there.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

The best Broth ever in an udon soup. all seasonal and so Über fresh, local and with an eye to organic sources. It shows in the flavor and the care of service.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Chef Naoko has changed her restaurant format for the better - now serving dinner in addition to the lunch menu. The bento reference to the name of this restaurant is off - this is pure authentic Japanese food, not the bento you get at corner shops in the US.

Chef Naoko adds an incredible combination of flavors to great local and fresh natural ingredients - and the food presentation is excellent. The same as you would get at some of the top-notch restaurants in Japan.

I still have to try everything on the menu, but I've eaten there twice in the last month, and they've all been great. I particularly like the steam cod with a hint of shiitake mushroom.