“Tasty, well prepared bento”
Review of chef naoko bento cafe - CLOSED

chef naoko bento cafe
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 22 February 2016 via mobile

When I travel on business I like eating Japanese, and especially chicken teriyaki bento boxes. This place had one of the nicest I've had in a while. The ingredients were all fresh and good quality and the sriracha sauce was the best I've ever had. Will go back if I'm in the area.

There are newer reviews for chef naoko bento cafe

Reviewed 19 December 2015

Had the ginger salmon bento box for lunch. The combination is very nice and portion is quite good. Being a very very healthy place, I couldn't get just white rice, but having mixed was not that big a deal. It's just that sometime a nice bowl of unashamed steamed white rice is just the perfect food, even by itself! I am a rice fan and I love a place with high quality rice :)
The flavor was mild and pleasant. The meal didn't leave me feeling parched like most restaurants do. I understand that all good things take time, but if you are there on your lunch break, watch out... it will take a full hour, unless you inhale your food. I would go back and try the cod, better if they would have a non-fried version.

Reviewed 21 July 2015

Exceptionally fresh and local ingredients, menu is mostly bento boxes. Menu constantly changes to reflect market conditions. Tiny interior; excellent service every time. Close to Portland Art Museum. We go often for lunch but they are now open also at dinnertime.

Reviewed 13 July 2015

We had Dinner here. The food was REALLY good and well prepared. The place is not very big and so close quarters. The lighting is low and somewhat makes it difficult to see. Parking is like most places around downtown Portland. We ended up parking 2 blocks away.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

There is something about a bento box that draws me to them. May be it is the box, may it is a bit of this, a bit of that. According to Wiki, "Bento" originates from the Southern Song Dynasty slang term 便當 (pinyin: biàndāng), meaning "convenient" or "convenience." When imported to Japan, it was written with the ateji 便道, 辨道, and 辨當.[2] In shinjitai, 辨當 is written as 弁当. However, Virtual Culture stated that -- The word bento is often said to have originated with a sixteenth-century military commander named Oda Nobunaga (1534-82), who fed the large numbers of people at his castle by having food handed out to each individual.

Regardless its origin, thank God there is Bento lunch. Plus the Chef is a woman. I am all for girl power. I found this place via Tripadvisor again. It is an organic restaurant, so you cannot beat that. A small place with only a few table and one table outside. It instantly reminds me of a small place in a small town. Greeted by a Japanese lady who thought I am Japanese, there were three other tables at lunch time, and two of them were Japanese. I thought that is a good sign.

I had the Tonkasu- Panko Coated Pork Chop Bento Box, and my companion ordered Teriyaki Chicken Bento Box, $15 each. It tasted superb. The salad was great too.

This place closes on Sunday and Monday, and open from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm for lunch. Only open for dinner from Wednesday to Friday from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm. The place also does take out and delivers as well.

I wish I live in Portland, I would be a regular if I am there.