“Exceptionally good Japanese food”
Review of chef naoko bento cafe - CLOSED

chef naoko bento cafe
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 9 June 2016

We were in Portland over Memorial Day weekend 2016, staying at the Hotel Modera. We found Chef Naoko on Yelp and walked a few blocks over to have lunch.

What a surprise. Our idea of "bento" was tempura and some meat with teriyaki sauce, but this restaurant is something much different and much, much better. Each dish was beautifully precise and delicious. It was so good that we came back again the next day to try it again.

I now see that Naoko is moving into a bigger and much more modern space soon. If the quality of the food is as good, it'll be spectacular. What a great experience!

1  Thank bc_sanjose
There are newer reviews for chef naoko bento cafe

Reviewed 22 February 2016 via mobile

When I travel on business I like eating Japanese, and especially chicken teriyaki bento boxes. This place had one of the nicest I've had in a while. The ingredients were all fresh and good quality and the sriracha sauce was the best I've ever had. Will go back if I'm in the area.

Reviewed 19 December 2015

Had the ginger salmon bento box for lunch. The combination is very nice and portion is quite good. Being a very very healthy place, I couldn't get just white rice, but having mixed was not that big a deal. It's just that sometime a nice bowl of unashamed steamed white rice is just the perfect food, even by itself! I am a rice fan and I love a place with high quality rice :)
The flavor was mild and pleasant. The meal didn't leave me feeling parched like most restaurants do. I understand that all good things take time, but if you are there on your lunch break, watch out... it will take a full hour, unless you inhale your food. I would go back and try the cod, better if they would have a non-fried version.

Reviewed 21 July 2015

Exceptionally fresh and local ingredients, menu is mostly bento boxes. Menu constantly changes to reflect market conditions. Tiny interior; excellent service every time. Close to Portland Art Museum. We go often for lunch but they are now open also at dinnertime.

Reviewed 13 July 2015

We had Dinner here. The food was REALLY good and well prepared. The place is not very big and so close quarters. The lighting is low and somewhat makes it difficult to see. Parking is like most places around downtown Portland. We ended up parking 2 blocks away.