“Great old-fashioned Americanized Chinese Food”

Hong Kong 97 King Rd
Ranked #1,781 of 4,624 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed 24 June 2017

My husband and I have been searching for an old fashioned Cantonese style restaurant since we moved to the Portland area. I read a review of Hong Kong 97 and it was described as having "the kind of Chinese food I used to eat growing up." That was enough to send us over there on a recent week day.
We were not disappointed. The hot and sour soup was very good and spicy. We wish they had the old fashioned wonton soup with wontons, pork strips, spinach, and green onions, but all the Portland area restaurants seem to serve it as an entree type of soup. Although the egg rolls looked unusual, they had the exact same taste that we remembered. The duck sauce and hot mustard sauce were also excellent. I had the chicken chow mein, which was okay, and my husband had the orange chicken, which he loved. We can't wait to go back and try our other remembered favorites.
The service was excellent. The server, Judy, went out of her way to find out if were local. She was friendly and efficient.
The restaurant is not fancy, but it was clean. The bathroom is not wonderful-dark and kind of scary.

Reviewed 11 April 2016 via mobile

This is the best Chinese food in town. We started coming here a couple of years ago and it never disappoints.

They have great lunch specials that come with soup, appetizer, rice and a main dish that are reasonably priced.

Take out is great as well but that tends to get a little expensive when feeding a large family.

The egg rolls are the best I have had in Portland.

Reviewed 20 February 2016 via mobile

There is a nice chinese ambiance inside versus the strip mall exterior. The place seems to be half lounge and half restaurant.
We did take out and the order was correct and on time. The servings were very generous(left overs)! The general tsos chicken was crispy and was the best thing we ordered. We also had hot and sour soup which was ok and the mongolian beef. There was a lot of beef but not much else.

On the whole it is better than average with professional friendly service- worth a repeat.

Reviewed 5 February 2015 via mobile

This is my husbands favorite place to go for Chinese! Always fresh, the taste is amazing! A lot of variety and the orange chicken is something you can't pass on, give it a try!

1  Thank Rorharm