“A Chinese restaurant that is not so typical Chinese”
Review of Shandong

Shandong
Ranked #337 of 4,855 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Get in this restaurant based on reading review. I have to say I was totally surprised: this is a Chinese restaurant without one single Chinese (at least when we walked in).

Surpringly, it was really good. Try the appetizer pot stickers and Shanghai Shao long bao. They are very good. The dishes are on the generous side and the one area that can be different is that all dishes are a bit salty.

Overall, a good experience and I would recommend it.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

Try the Shandong Beef or Chicken. Really tasty, this place was a terrific find for us.
The staff is always helpful with food allergy issues. One of my PDX favs.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

I was craving Chinese food and decided to go to Shandong. I have been here probably a half dozen times over the last few years. I ordered the Honey Dry Fried Chicken with rice and it was good. Service was a little off on this visit. They brought me a pot of tea, but nothing to pour it in. I was wondering if they wanted me to be like Aldo Ray in the film "Welcome to Hard Times" where he pulls a dirty onion out of the ground and starts eating it, then just drinks straight from the hot coffee pot. Fortunately they brought me a cup after I pointed out I had no way of drinking the tea. Another thing that was off is they told me they were completely out of appetizers and something else I can't remember at the moment. It seemed strange for a Friday. Anyhow the food was fine and I did not find the price to be all that expensive in comparison to other restaurants.

Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

Once again Shandong sets the standard for us for Chinese food.
The egg flower soup was delicate and delicious.
Kung Pao Chicken so fresh and tasty. My wife had the Judy’s Noodles, and swears they are the best ever.
The quality of food and service is the standard all restaurants should strive for.

Reviewed 11 May 2018

We came here while visiting a friend who likes this restaurant. It's definitely popular with the locals, and Shandong offers both table service dining and takeaway.
The Won Ton soup we shared was really quite nice, and each ordered something different. My tofu dish was very good, with nice spices. Our friend ordered the Cherry Pork and my husband had some sort of chopped (hacked up) pork dish. That would be my only complaint; the way meat is so poorly prepped and trimmed for these dishes. I tried our friend's cherry pork, which had a nice sauce, but breaded and fried gristle is still gristle and inedible. My husband's pork dish also had a very nice sauce, but was basically hacked up meat with large portions of untrimmed fat attached. Further, the hacking up of the meat was not thorough, as he had a large chunk of semi-chopped meat and fat that had to be picked apart.
This would be an outstanding place for Asian food if they would simply pay more attention to better meat preparation.