“A good option!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 10 November 2017

I was really excited to try Du's Grill because I have heard so many good things. Overall the food was great. I got the mix chicken/beef teriyaki. The one thing that is keeping me from giving it 5 stars is that the rice was way overcooked. It was mushy and just not good. The portions were great, the meat was great, and the teriyaki sauce was very tasty. But the rice really ruined it from being perfect. I'm not sure if I just happened to go on a bad day or if they normally cook their rice that much, but I will definitely give it another try. Also, the food came out very quickly!

Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

A prime example of focusing on a few food items and doing them REALLY well. If you like chicken, this is your place!! LOVE the teriyaki chicken with rice and salad. Most people do take-out and there are a few tables for dining in.

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

A no frills teriyaki joint located in NE Portland. Most people get their food to go, which makes sense since the parking ANYWHERE on Sandy Blvd is atrocious. Don't even think about attempting to brace the accident-waiting-to-happen parking situation here. That being said, this place is delish. It's a hole in the wall place with a few tables for those who wish to dine in. Get the chicken teriyaki. It's chargrilled perfectly, served with white rice and a salad with a poppyseed miso dressing - fantastic. A great lunch in PDX for under $10...can't beat that!

Reviewed 19 March 2017

Hungry and a bit grumpy, we stumbled upon this place for a Friday night fast meal. One never knows what to expect when you stumble in, and so we ordered and sat down to wait. We noticed a constant stream of customers, many greeted by name.
The plates of food here are HUGE! We ordered 3 different dishes and all were grilled wonderfully and equally tasty. I would say the food is Teriyaki-inspired and Americanized, but so yummy, nonetheless. The flavors are really soaked in (a bit on the strong side) and the grilling adds a smoky flavor. Yum. Lots of veggies in the yakisoba and the texture of the fresh noodles was right on. We left with plenty for another meal. 4 stars on the food, only because the sauce is rather overwhelming, but I will return for more very soon. Give it a try.

Reviewed 19 January 2017

On a cold, dreary day we were passing through this NE Portland neighborhood, and hoped that Du's would be open for us to try for the first time. Luckily, we arrived just after they opened at 11 a.m. so they were not yet crowded, as it's a tiny place with only a few tables and is a popular place with the working guys!

The aroma when we walked up to the entrance was a definite enticement, and we were greeted by a friendly fellow at the counter where we ordered the Teriyaki plate (pork) and the vegetable Yakisoba. After helping ourselves to water and taking a seat, we watched the place fill up quickly and enjoyed the smell and sounds of food being prepared. After noticing that others who placed orders after us had received their food, we asked the server about it & were informed very apologetically that the noodle dish takes longer to prepare; by this time we were drooling due to wonderful smells coming from the kitchen.

Both dishes came out nice & hot, and wonderfully tasty! The Teriyaki plate comes with a nice sized scoop of rice, a lettuce salad with a dressing so yummy I would drink it, and the thin pork slices caramelized, NOT covered with gloopy teriyaki sauce! The Yakisoba was loaded with veggies and everything well seasoned - a really nice combo with the Teriyaki, which husband and I shared. We had plenty to take home for lunch the next day as well, so while we spent around $20 total, it was quite a good deal...

Note: The restroom is outside around the back of the place so was VERY chilly the day we went; the restaurant is older and there's zero atmosphere, but you come here for the food! We will return and get our food to go next time...