“Bourbon addict in heaven!!”

Multnomah Whiskey Library
Ranked #69 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 25 January 2016

Coming out of the deep South, I am very particular about the bourbons I like. The joke in my company is that I will try any bourbon once, as long as it is made in Kentucky or a state touching Kentucky.

We went to "the library" on a Saturday night. It was packed and they told us it was a two hour wait. Our group of four, all coming out of Seattle were "ok" with that. They took our phone number and we headed to another bar, Shift Drinks about a block away. I highly recommend that, but it is for a different review.

We got our call and headed to the library. We waited for a couple of minutes while our table was set-up. Here is my experience:

Walking In: I felt like I was in a 1950's mob movie, in a good way. Leather couches, crystal chandelier's and low lighting. The first thing I notice is that the whole bar turns around when someone new walks in. Less snotty, more like how I would feel walking into a bar where I know everyone.

Ordering: As I mentioned, I like bourbon (I went to Ole Miss, it is a bit of a religion), and I love trying new things. Our bartender/server handed a massive list of bourbon. I was overwhelmed. To counter this feeling, I described what I liked and what I did not like and told her a price range. In my case I gave her a $40 - $60 range.

The Results: Came back with a bourbon I have, Blade & Bow. I had heard of it, but not yet tried it. It was very good, but for this review, the key is that it was on the lower end of the price scale. I appreciate that. I don't mind spending the money, but make it worthwhile. With my second drink, I had a similar experience.

Overall: I highly recommend heading to the library. Clearly some of the patrons are more of the 20 somethings, but being older, I felt right at home and would recommend it.

Tips:
1) Let the servers help you pick the right drink for you
2) Don't be afraid to set a price range. There is the right drink for everyone regardless of budget
3) Be patient. This bar is cool. Good things come to those who wait.
4) Green room, might not be my scene. Was a bit more energetic than being upstairs in the library

Reviewed 22 January 2016 via mobile

My better half and I appreciate bourbon and scotch with the best of them and this place delivers. Not only do they have an outstanding selection, but the servers are attentive and extremely knowledgeable. The feel is very 1920s speakeasy and the food is absolutely outstanding. We got the burger and fries and it was by far the best I've had (and I live in Texas!).
FYI: the place can be difficult to find but the address is correct. Brett was an absolutely outstanding server. When you get there you have to wait in the green room, which is great, but there's usually a wait to get up to the library and they don't take reservations for the day of. Cannot recommend this place enough!

Reviewed 14 January 2016 via mobile

We came to soak up the atmosphere and maybe a drink or two. We were not disappointed. Our waiter was knowledgable, engaging, and attentive. 1600 different whiskies, plus other creative cocktails, and a snack to dinner menu (we only had their very tasty popcorn -$5)

Reviewed 21 December 2015

This place is hidden you have to wait in the main bar to get up to the whiskey bar. Once you up there they have a variety of whiskey drinks you can choose from. Their lamb tartar is good.

Reviewed 17 December 2015

I will state right off that I am not a fan of whiskey, but my 3 companions are. I had a cocktail that I could not finish. They mainly enjoyed their drinks. The waiter was quite supercilious. I made a joke and he glared at me, which ruined the rest of the visit for me. We ordered the cheese board. For $15. We got maybe one ounce of cheese, some shaved bread and 5 nuts. The ambience is nice, reminding me of the libraries you see Downton Abbey, but that did not balance the waiter and the prices for me. My companions enjoyed it more than I did.