“Marvelous Mexican Find with Friendly Service”

Rocio's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #591 of 4,415 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed 29 June 2016

My daughter and her husband live nearby and offered to take my husband and I for a local treat. Her offer was "do you want tacos and margaritas?" and we were glad to accept. We arrived on a Wednesday afternoon and admired the atmosphere with vibrant colors and open decor. We were welcomed and immediately offered the menu and chips and salsa. The server and later the owner were particularly friendly and familiar with our daughter who was a regular. We discovered that they were celebrating one year of business and hope that they are successful since we want to return for future visits in PDX. We all ordered their fish tacos and margaritas, I decided to try their Ponce's Cadillac at $9 and it was perfect. My husband ordered his tacos with rice and beans and they were tasty. Our tacos were well presented and prepared with fresh ingredients. The prices were also quite reasonable and we definitely look forward to enjoying more of their dishes during our next visit with our daughter.

Reviewed 4 March 2016

First, I downgraded my rating from 4 to 3 star for several reasons. We attended as a group of 8 with a special request, in advance, to be seated at the one large table. We went on National Margarita Day and the place was packed. It wasn't due to the "holiday" but to a very large and ongoing group, primarily of families, there for a school fundraiser. Kudos to Rocio's for supporting the community but really????? On National Margarita Day? Our server completely forgot about us, didn't bring some of our second drink orders, and didn't return but one time to our table. Second, most of the members of our group were not first timers at the restaurant. There were comments from several about their entrees not being consistent with the same items ordered in the past. Not poor quality, but as if there's no consistency in recipes, preparation, chefs? I ordered a plate with 2 soft tacos, beans, and rice. There was nothing particularly special about anything, and I am a HUGE Mexican food fan, having sampled many regional types, in many different locations including throughout Mexico. So, I always expect a variety. That's the joy of trying different restaurants. I tend to measure a Mexican restaurant by simple things, like their salsas, as they set the entire tone of the meal from the initial serving with chips to the varieties on different entrees. The salsa was so watery you couldn't hold any on the chips, mildly flavored. The different ones on my tacos were good but nothing special. With the huge variety of Mexican restaurants and excellent food carts throughout Portland, I will not return to Rocio's.

Reviewed 18 February 2016

My 16 year old neighbor and I decided to try this the other day and it was Amazing. Maybe because the location doesn't have a lot of good restaurants or I haven't been to the right Mexican restaurants because the spices that Rocio's used just *popped* and I couldn't stop eating and I'm not a big eater.
My neighbor is Hispanic and they make homemade tamale's at home and even she was impressed with her meal.
Go and enjoy. I'm going back as soon as I'm in the area.

1  Thank kaemicha
Reviewed 14 January 2016

This restaurant serves generous helpings at a reasonable price. They also have wonderful Margaritas. The space is open and the decor modern and unique. It's also good for vegetarians.

Reviewed 13 January 2016

Very good food, good quality ingredients and made to order. The restaurant is clean and has a great energy. The owner and her staff are genuine and fun to be around. Give it a try, you will love it.