“Towering cakes, and pastrami sandwiches inches thick. Good marble rye.”

Rose's Deli & Bakery
Ranked #7 of 56 Restaurants in Sherwood
Reviewed 16 October 2015

Stop at the pastry case on the way in so you will know what to order when the time comes. Roses used to be an old staple in the upper blocks of Northwest Portland. It has changed some, in both menu and presentation, but it is still a cut above.

1  Thank Candace P
There are newer reviews for Rose's Deli & Bakery

Reviewed 13 October 2015 via mobile

I eat the reuben whenever it is on the menu. I expected great things from a jewish deli style restaurant. I have visited here twice in the last couple months and first time had the turkey reuben(trying to reduce beef intake). The latest visit i tried the "original" in an effort to get the best impression.i am disappointed to have to say that both reubens were tasteless, messy piles of saurkraut with minimal meat. At a cost of $15 i expected great things. I added a star for timely service...

I am disappointed

Reviewed 11 September 2015

We lived in the Portland area 20 years ago, and were frequent patrons of the various Rose's delis. The Reubens were ENORMOUS and out of this world, and the desserts were equally as huge and yummy! We have visited Portland several times since then, years ago noticing that the Rose's we had frequented on Stark and in Beaverton were no longer there, but we knew they were still around. We kept telling ourselves we had to check them out on our next visit.

On Sunday, 9/6, we decided to venture over to Sherwood to try the Rose's there. My wife and I had been dieting for 6 months before this trip, so we opted to share one of their Reubens. We had fond memories of taking numerous visitors to Rose's, advising them to order just half a sandwich (because they were served on large, oblong slices of rye bread so large they had to cut them in 3 pieces -AND they were over 3" thick!), invariably they would order a whole one, so we delighted in watching their eyes pop when the server would plop this enormous sandwich in front of them!

Now, I will admit their is still a fair portion of meat on the sandwich, but it is nowhere near as much as before, and the rye bread is you average, square slices, which explains why it is no longer an option to order a half (almost anyone could finish a whole one of these!). At one point I noticed a small pile of kraut on my wife's plate, apparently her half had the lion's share of the kraut and not as much meat. All in all, it didn't seem worth the $16 they were charging for it.

While returning from the restroom my wife looked at all of the cakes and commented they didn't look at all like she remembered. I checked them out as well and had to agree they looked like they came from a grocery store bakery instead of being made in house, so we opted out of the dessert.

We came to the sad conclusion that many things are more worth remembering rather than trying to re-live, and this was one of those experiences! Sorry, but knowing what this place once was versus what it is now, I can't recommend it.

2  Thank Steve N
Reviewed 2 September 2015 via mobile

Have been going to Roses since the 80's ( up on NW 23rd)

The Original Rueben is an experience. Order it with only 2 pieces of bread (comes with 3) if you want to be able to walk out after you eat it.

My wife (GF at the time) used to split a Rueben and one of their giant cinnamon rolls after bar hopping.

Despite the change of ownership and the new locations this place is still an excellent choice.

Reviewed 1 September 2015

This is a family restaurant. There is an attached bar I have never been to, but it is separate enough that it doesn't bother me to take my 1st grade inside. The food is consistent and plentiful. Actually, it is too plentiful and I usually plan on taking home left overs for another meal later.

I like the wait staff who are generally very nice and often very busy. There is a dessert case that looks amazing, but I have only allowed myself to eat out of there one time.

I like the matzoh ball soup. I never had it before last year when the server recommended it. It feels like a light meal and I refuse to look at a calorie count to see if I am right or wrong.

Overall, this is a go to restaurant if you want to avoid a big chain but like a good menu that anybody in the family can find something to eat from.