“Amazing Taste”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Summer reruns have encouraged me to branch out in my television watching, and now I'm addicted to the Food Network. I have learned to appreciate diverse ingredients, well prepared, artfully plated, and served properly.....and Jen's Garden was a wonderful way to embody the lessons I have been learning. The food is creative and fresh, and I got to try new things, which was great fun. For an appetizer, I had the house smoked trout and salmon potato galette (a crispy potato cake) with a sauce gribiche (also new to me). My husband had a wonderful chilled avocado soup with Oregon bay shrimp. For an entree, I had a roasted pork loin roulade served with summer corn fregula (a pasta similar to couscous) and roasted radishes, and my husband had orange-pepper glazed grilled duck breast with warm fig bread pudding. All of the tastes were delicate, distinct, and marvelous. For dessert, the S'more pie was luscious. The prix fixe menu makes enjoying a gourmet meal relatively reasonable, and the service was attentive while still fitting in with our laid back Oregon lifestyle. I look forward to my next Foodie lesson at Jen's Garden!

1  Thank TravelVet61

Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Strange little venue that feels more like someone's living room than a restaurant. The food was good and the service reasonably attentive. We really enjoyed our meal and felt the staff wanted to please. The wine choices were a bit odd, red wine with fish and dessert wine with cheese, but the staff were happy to accommodate our preferences which was great. We liked the ambiance as everyone seemed to be having a good time

Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Top quality meat and fish impeccably cooked. Not cheap, but with all the mediocre restaurants these days it is refreshing to find one which really does aspire to be first class.
Not a great location, small town quite far from Bend, a problem if one wishes to sample the interesting wine selection.

1  Thank Imackin
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We ate at Jen's Garden for the 2nd time in a year. While the fall menu featured delicious smoked beets this spring menu was lighter with asparagus and mushrooms. Don't go there expecting to have what you had last time unless you are a weekly visitor. Their menu is based on what is fresh and available. No matter what you order it is beautifully prepared and artfully presented. If you are a meat and potatoes, quantity over quality diner I am sure they would prefer that you not darken their door.

You will not leave hungry, your taste buds will have been titillated, you will not feel stuffed, and if you are foodies like we are you will spend the next few months sharing this meal experience with friends while trying to duplicate the flavors in your own kitchen.

1  Thank njb28
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We read reviews on Jen's Garden it sounded good. It is nice and the food is pretty good. I just wanted to add a few things I felt was wrong with some of the reviews I read. One was they give you a lot of food and you have to take some with you. Maybe if you're a petite eater this is true. My wife weighs 110 lbs and she left hungry I even asked for more bread. A few hours later I stopped a McDonalds to get something to eat. They don't feed you a lot, their food is works of art.
The other thing was a review said it cost about $26 a plate. They have a four cores meal each course is $26 so times that by four. If money is no object no problem.
I had a steak dish it was good my wife had quail dish. She had an appetizer I had a salad nothing special. We had water to drink with a 10% tip it cost $80. Then we went and ate again in a couple of hours.
It is a nice place the waiter is very nice and it is cheaper than flying to France to eat. Not really my kind of place to eat. If you want to impress someone this would be a good way to do it.

2  Thank Brent S
highbrow, Owner at Jen's Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

I am truly sorry that you were disappointed with your dining experience at Jen's Garden. In regard to the serving size/price, the majority of our guests opt for either a 3 course or a 5 course price fixe menu. You stated that the courses are $26 each... however, ONLY the entrees are $26 and that is if ordered a la carte.
The 3 course dinner is $42 and the 5 course is $55.
We do size our portions for a multiple course meal so that guests can comfortably enjoy a multiple course experience.
Jennifer