“Bengali at its best”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I have been eating at this restaurant since it opened. I, too, have eaten in Indian restaurants in New York and San Francisco, and, although this may not be the spiced-up, saturated flavor that some crave (by the way, you can order your food as "hot" as you want it), it is true Bengali home cooking, and the blend of flavors is perfect. Just superb.

Your dish is cooked to order so it is not fast food, but you can relax and savor the fragrance that comes from the kitchen, and order one of their special appetizers beforehand.

The atmosphere is warm and the couple who run the place and do the cooking treat you like family. The decor, tableware, glassware, all are in good taste; and, speaking of good taste, the food... Ahhh!

Date of visit: August 2013
2  Thank Manya M

Reviewed 11 February 2013

This food is not what I would considerate Indian. I have eaten indian all over the world and this is by far the worst example. No spice, no flavor. Veggies are mush. There is only one person waiting on people and it proves to not be enough. I saw people come in to pick up their order and proceed to stand and wait until someone came out so they could address them. One woman even went to the front door and pretended to open it to get the attention of someone in the back. The naan is the worst I have ever had. If you have ever had indian food before and liked it, don't go here. I think maybe this place gets some good reviews from people who have no idea what indian food is, are from bloomsburg and maybe just the idea of getting indian seems very ethnic and worldy to them.

Date of visit: February 2013
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I ate here once before, it was about 2 yrs. ago. Upon my first visit my wife and I found the food to be boring and rather tame for "indian" food. The buffet was lame and we felt like we had to "save some for the rest of the diners" when we plated our food. I could've eaten everything on that buffet table myself. We decided just this past week to give Sakuntala one more try, since I loooooove indian food at there are no indian restaurants around here. Our second visit was exactly the same as the first. A big disappointment. Boring MICROWAVED, yes fresh out of the microwave food, no spice, no heat and no flavor. Not to mention the speed of service here is at a snails pace. Clear your schedule for an hour and :45 minutes if you plan to eat here.
You would be better off buying frozen "Tandoor Chef" brand indian food in a box at the supermarket for an evening of exotic cuisine. It tastes better and you'll have your meal in front of you within the hour. I am really surprised this place does any business at all. What a terrible disappointment. Go elsewhere.

Date of visit: February 2013
1  Thank Tim C
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My husband and I moved from NY city to Bloomsburg seven years ago. As most people know NY city is the Mecca of ethnic food choices. Being exposed to such diversities, Indian and Bangladeshi food being some of them, gave us enough experience to consider ourselves conoissours of ethnic foods. We savoured Sakuntala's succulent meals for the first time in 2005 and thru-out all these years. Their ingredients are fresh and the fact that their vegetables are locally grown is a plus, not only because they guarantee freshness, but also because they support other businesses in town who grow these veggies. My husband and I travel constantly from Bloomsburg to NY and are able to compare the quality of the food served in both places. Sakuntala has nothing to envy other Indian or Bangladeshi restaurants anywhere else, not even in such a metropolitan area as NY city. Sakuntala not only serves delicious meals, but also provides a very friendly atmosphere at the restaurant. The owners are gracious, hard working people who ALWAYS made us feel at home and have been generous to us on many occasions by sharing various appetisers and desserts that we didn't even order. This is nothing more than a demonstration of their kindness and generosity. Anyone who could ever bad-mouth Sakuntala and it's reputation is nothing more than an ill intentioned individual who does not deserve any credibility. My husband and I are living proof of admiration for Sakuntala. To this day we remain loyal customers of this establishment and the people who run it and plan to continue to enjoy their delicious cooking.

Date of visit: October 2012
2  Thank Rocio G
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Simply the best place to try south Asian food in a beautiful and soothing environment.........their greetings to the customer is very nice and pleasant as their food.......

7  Thank 123,456,789,009,876