“better than the competition”

Domenico's Ristorante
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 16 January 2020

our first visit to Domenicos resulted in a nice dinner, well prepared, hot & tasty. much better than the chains in the area. the reuben sandwich was excellent and the fries super crunchy. i want to know how they do that. service was on point. great experience and we will go back

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (66)

Reviewed 30 December 2019

Disappointing. It's not a word I use too often in speech or in reviews. It's a word that hurts. It cuts. But, that's exactly how I felt after our last visit to Domenicos this past Friday night.As background, my wife and I have been to Domenicos several times over the past few months. Not enough to be called "regulars", but not totally infrequent guests. About once every 4-6 weeks. In the past, everything has been great from the food to the service. But on this last visit, everything seemed off. Thus, the title: Disappointing and Inconsistent. As our daughter from Virginia was in town, and it was a Friday night, I called to make reservations for "3". During the call, I repeated the number 3 times. When we got there, after I said my name, the hostess looked at me oddly, as they had a table set for us for "13". Not sure how we got from 3 to 13, but with a little effort, the situation was quickly resolved and we moved on. The 3 of us were seated on the right side eating area from when you enter the restaurant.The tables are fairly well packed in. I mention this for 2 reasons: 1. Behind me was a young couple, with 2 young children. The boy, who appeared to be about "1" seemed to have a penchant for flinging his spoon in various directions, mostly my way. The parents sat there and in cute tones told their son that's not a nice thing to do. Of course the boy just kept doing it. OK....I get it....he's just a young kid, and it's not the restaurant's fault that the parents can't control their small terrorist, but after about 10 times of having the spoon hit my shoes or go under our table, I'd just about had enough. Frankly, if the utensil every actually hit me on the back or head, it would not have been a pleasant scene. In addition, since the tables are packed together, there's little room for other servers to get by. I know this as well, as my chair was bumped over 6 times, mainly by another Domenico's waiters trying to pass through. Between the flying utensils and bumping chairs I felt I always had to be on constant high alert!! Moving on, each dinner comes with salad. The salad was good, but since I ordered Italian dressing as the dressing, I quickly realized I should have ordered the dressing on the side. The bowl was literally swimming in dressing, so much so that with each bite, I had to hold the fork over the bowl for a few seconds with each bite to stop the dripping of the dressing. Totally ruined the salad. My wife and daughter had thicker consistency dressings, and there's was fine. Thus, the inconsistencies of presentation. For entrees, my wife ordered the Pasta Venezia with chicken at $20, my daughter had the Chicken Portifino at $22 and I had the Veal Portifino at $26. My wife's dinner was very good. My daughter's was not. Her chicken was tough....totally different than my wife's. In addition, even though my daughter and I had the same sauce, they looked totally different. Her's was filled with wilted spinach, which was so drenched, outside of color, it added absolutely no taste or texture to the meal. Since this was the first time she had ever been to Domenicos, I could tell within the first few moments that she was totally disappointed, and ate about 1/3 of her meal. In my dish there clearly was virtually no spinach, which as I previously stated, since it added no value, I was OK about. However, the inconsistencies in the 2 sauces were striking. As for the "Portifino" portion, she got 1 large shrimp....I got 2. Again....totally inconsistent! We each received 2 scallops, and in both cases, one was large, and the other very small....a little bigger than a nickle. Frankly, I expected much better! In terms of service, again it was amazingly inconsistent, despite the fact that I knew we had a very experienced waitress. The salads and meals came out promptly. I had ordered water with my meal and had finished the first glass early on. Despite asking, she never returned until way after we were done to refill the glass. As a former restaurant owner/manager, I tend to "time" things. From the time we were all clearly done (napkins on table/utensils in bowl) it took nearly 20 minutes for her to ask if we were ready for the check. Once presented, it took another 15 minutes for her to retrieve it. Thank goodness we weren't in a rush! Again, the inconsistency of service was very striking. The final jab was when the bill came and I went to sign the credit card receipt, the pen she gave me was out of ink, and I borrowed one from a passing server since I couldn't find her. My daughter didn't say it, but from her unfinished meal to the crammed seating to other inconsistencies, the look on her face said "Dad, I know you've liked this restaurant in the past, but honestly I don't know what you see in this place." I have to agree....it was truly Disappointing. As we went out the door, I had noticed earlier I young man at the hostess station who I believe is part of ownership/management. If he asked about our meal, my intent was to tell him I thought the night was not up to par with similar past experiences, but at the moment we were leaving, he was too busy chatting it up with a couple at the bar, so we simply left and based on this experience, I'll have to think long and hard before I return anytime soon.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed 18 October 2019

Even though I've lived in the Pittsburgh are for over 25 years, until tonight, I had never been to Domenico's in Cranberry. Bottom Line, as Arnold would say, "We'll Be Back!". Everything was great....from the food (Veal Portofino at $26.00 and the Melanzane Parmigiana at $16.00) ....to the bread....to the service. The restaurant has a HUGE menu, so no matter what your desire, I'm certain you'll find something to your liking. Large portions, quality food, fair prices, in a nice atmosphere. Perfect!

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed 21 September 2019

Very filling and delicious. I tried one of the "Daily Specials" which was a chicken entree - very good. My husband tried the Banana Peppers. I hope to have the banana peppers the next time I go(husband says they were very good and spicy).

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed 25 August 2019

Not good at all. Food was mediocre at best. Our bill for two was $68 with one appetizer, one lasagna dinner and one chicken dinner. Water to drink! Would not recommend.

Date of visit: August 2019