“Great for a stay while traveling on i-80”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Drums-Hazelton
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Drums
Reviewed 4 June 2017

We had a great 1-night stop (driving I-80 from NYC back home to northwest OH). The view out of the room was pretty (mountains in distance, landscaping from this & office building across the street). It's incredibly quiet in the area-no restaurants or gas stations in immediate area, FYI. The front desk guy that checked us in (50s? 60s?) needs improvement - he didn't greet me. After about 30-40 seconds of me standing at the front desk, he said "checking in?" and didn't stand up until getting keys and didn't smile much. As a former GM of a hotel, that was notable. Also, we got charged practically the full rate for 'incidentals' (the hold on my card DID go away after a couple days, but incidentals should only be 1/4 to 1/3 of the room rate. That was absurd. I bet they get yelled at by people that use debit cards [not that ANYONE ever should, for this reason, of course]). Morning FD lady was friendly.
Otherwise, the stay was comfy - I felt like the bathroom was nice and clean so I took a bath, and the bed was comfortable (the sheets were soft and worn in a bit [I'd seen that complaint on other reviews] but I really loved them. They were really soft and comfortable [and *not at all like that slicky satiny feeling that snags on rough feet - I hate that]. These were great, in my opinion. The decor is more traditional, which I like (cozy!). The breakfast was good-standard HI Express (the pancake maker wasn't working, but that didn't bother us. Great cinnamon rolls. We'd return on our next trip to NYC.

Room Tip: end of the hallway (front of the building) has a better view of the mountains than near elevator? we...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ivychick425
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Drums-Hazelton

Reviewed 1 June 2017

Basic hotel. Quiet and clean. Some people complain about the beds being hard, but that's a matter of personal preference, we like a firmer mattress. Downside is that there was no refrigerator in the room. The internet was extremely slow and hard to get connected. There is no pool which we knew, but just in case someone doesn't 'read' the amenities list! It really is a 'rural' hotel in that there is pretty much nothing in terms of dining close to the hotel. However, it was easy to find. Breakfast was pretty standard. Eating area was clean and stocked. Like I stated, good for one night, but that's about it.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Edwin M
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Drums-Hazelton, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Hi Edwin M,

Thanks for staying at our hotel for your travel and for sharing feedback, it's great to hear your sentiments. Comfortable accommodations is what we consistently aim to provide, I am happy you found the hotel to be relaxing and clean. However, I regret to learn that you were let down by the lack of a refrigerator in your room and WIFI performance I do understand how frustrating this can be and I am sorry for the inconvenience you had endured during your stay. On the positive side, I'm happy to know that you found our room accommodation to be sufficient for your needs. Comments like yours are highly appreciated as this will surely go a long way in checking the gaps of certain areas of concerns that need further improvements. On the positive side, I appreciate your kind remarks regarding the Breakfast area.

Once more, thank you for your review and for staying with us. Despite some impediments, I hope you give our hotel another chance to host you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Zel N.

Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

My reservation was made in error through PRICELINE. I immediately cancelled but was still charged. When I inquired why I was charged Priceline stated that HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS charged them per Holiday Inn express policy. I asked for a credit and was decline by PRICELINE per HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS policy. I will NEVER again use PRICELINE NOR WILL I go to a holiday inn express anywhere. I will also advice all family and friends to do the same
I have frequented holiday inn previously with no issues and I have used PRICELINE for 17 years. I will use neither going forward. Too much competition. I don't have to.
Sincerely a disgruntled customer

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Drums-Hazelton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Hello Melissa M!

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Drums-Hazleton (I-80), PA. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 26 May 2017

This was as expected, a new style hotel, off the main highway. There are not a lot of places to eat around it, but there is a McDonalds nearby. Quiet and comfortable. Complimentary cookies at check in.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

Unfortunately I have nothing good to say about this place. We booked this hotel as a stop over night on our way to Cape Cod and we knew that we would only be sleeping there, but everything from the time that we checked in, to the time that we left was just plain awful. My husband was "greeted" by an older man at the front desk by the man saying to my husband, "hey man we just had a hooker in here." My stunned husband says to him "are you sure." His response "oh yeah and she was a good looking one too." Then as he is processing our reservation, a gentleman walks up behind my husband wearing a white tux and asks the man behind the desk if he knows of any places around there where you can get food delivered this late, it was about 10:50 p.m. The man behind the desk responds that no there is not but if they want to have a party he's got two bottles of wine behind the counter and he gets off in about 10 minutes. My husband says nothing, as he is exhausted from driving, so he proceeds to take us to our room, telling me none of this, as he knew I would have required that we immediately leave and find a different hotel. The room we were given was on the first floor and it was quite a large room. As there are two adults and two children in our family we booked a room with two beds and requested a refrigerator as my son has medication that needs to be kept refrigerated. Upon entering the room we found that there was in fact a refrigerator but it was not plugged in and therefore not cold. We then proceeded to inspect the room, as bedbugs are such a large problem these days, I always pull back the blankets and check. We didn't find any bedbugs but we did however find plenty of hairs on both beds as though the sheets on neither bed had been washed. Again, since my poor husband was exhausted from driving I decided to simply remove the hairs I could find and try to go to sleep. However, I did not sleep most of the night because I had that heebee jeebee feeling all night long at the idea of sleeping on dirty sheets and the bed was also hard as a rock. It's finally morning so we get up and proceed to shower so that we can go about our day and find that there are only two bath towels in the room. A room that was booked for 4 people. Not wanting to risk another encounter with a questionable employee my husband settled for using a hand towel. At this point my husband explained to me about the exchange with the person at the front desk the night before, and after his story I'm too disgusted to even attempt to eat breakfast so I cannot comment as to the quality of the food. All I can say is that when I walked down to the breakfast area it seemed as though the selection was average for holiday inn and the girl working the breakfast area was restocking as things were depleted. Our most unpleasant experience at any holiday inn ever. We do frequent holiday inns as we are members and we even have an IHG credit card to earn and redeem points with Holiday Inn. We were also not offered our member welcome gift upon check-in.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Drums-Hazelton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2017

Hello Amanda W,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to leave us your feedback. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the overall service you received from our hotel. I’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so I have sent you a private message. Also, this feedback will be shared with the appropriate people to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope that I have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering an above average experience.

Krysllin G
IHGService

Also consider these accommodations in or near Drums
10.2 km away
9.4 km away
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 2 in West Hazleton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Drums-Hazelton? Share your experiences!