“Worst Marriott Hotel Experience Ever”

Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Exton
Reviewed 26 June 2017

My son and I traveled to this hotel for a Lacrosse tournament in a nearby city. The lady who checked us in was very nice and I enjoyed talking with her. We were late because our flight from Atlanta had been delayed over an hour due to weather, and the hotel was an hour's drive from the airport. She mentioned that she did not normally work weekend nights, which I have added here so that she will know that I really appreciated her friendly greeting and conversation.

That is where the delight ends. From the moment we opened the door of the building to go to our room, I knew that this property was substandard. Here are some of the issues that we dealt with during our stay:

Mud was caked on the stairs (this was late Friday night) and it was not removed until Sunday morning. (see picture)

There are no ice machines anywhere on the property. You have to walk down to the front desk where they go into a back room somewhere and bring the ice out to you. I have no idea where the ice is stored and whether it is clean enough to use in drinks or not.

We requested an extra pillow (ONE) and an extra blanket (ONE) and we were told that they had NO PILLOW or BLANKET to give us. What hotel has NO extra pillows and blankets??? And the man was not nice about it either - he just informed me that they didn't have any and that was it - rather matter-of-fact.

There were about a dozen places in our room and in the hallways where the floor would actually SINK down when you walk across it. The holes under the carpet are about the size of a grapefruit and this could be very dangerous to anyone who has issues with balance or difficulty walking due to illness.

Eight out of 10 times that we entered the building on the end with the stairs, there was a ROCK that had the door propped open... so much for security. I don't know how safe that area is, but I did not feel very safe as we were in one of the rooms close to that end where the door was propped open. I removed the rock myself twice, but it seemed to be a fairly common practice as we saw this almost every time we came back to the property. (see picture)

Many other small things were noted - the light fixture in our bathroom was cracked, the elevator buttons are missing huge chunks of plastic, there are stains on the wallpaper - not at all up to Marriott standards.

This hotel is in a general state of disrepair and it is my opinion that the Marriott owners should sell this property as quickly as possible. It has nothing to offer that will attract me to return. Very disappointed as I did not rest due to all of the issues that we dealt with during our stay.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
extonri_11, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Dear Anastasia L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton with us. I am very sorry our current appearance was not what you had anticipated. We strive to maintain the highest standards, not only in service and cleanliness, but also with regards to maintaining the overall look and feel of the hotel. Unfortunately, this sometimes requires essential renovations in our guest areas. Although we fell short of meeting your expectations during your past stay, I hope you will consider Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton on your next visit to Exton so that we can better deliver upon the guest experience you deserve.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

We stayed in Exton to be outside of Philly.... when we arrived the AC was set low and the room smelled musty, but we thought if we turned the AC down, the smell would go away after it cooled the room down...it did not.,it was very damp in the room..very high humidity...the carpet felt damp when walked on barefoot.. the second day house keeping didn't leave enough towels or washcloths or bath mats..however the sweet lady at the front desk brought some down to our room.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
extonri_11, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2017

Dear Bev A,

As the comfort and cleanliness of our hotel is a key priority, I am very sorry that your guestroom fell short of your expectations. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with the housekeeping team in an effort to improve our service.

As our valued guest, we hope you choose to stay with us whenever your travels bring you back to Exton.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

although the hotel is a little dated looking,it was clean and everything functioned well. It was the perfect place for a mini-family reunion. Having a living room and kitchen was great. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. they went out of their way for every request. A shout-out to Bill, one of the hosts, for making a balloon hat for our 4 year old grandson at breakfast. It was the highlight of his stay.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
extonri_11, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

We are so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy time with your family and that we could be a part of that! We love to have children join the fun, especially at breakfast! We hope to see you again next year and thank you for choosing us!

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

As I sit here in my room reading some of the past with use I kind of wonder where these people had stayed. Our room was as usual amazing and clean. We had brought our dog and in advance of the Pet Policy. As I am disabled they waved part of the pet rooming area to allow me to have a handicapped room on first floor. Also they allowed us to check in at 1 o'clock since we got there early. Hardly realized others were staying if not for breakfast time. I had one problem, spoke with manger, it was fixed within 10 min.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Thank you so much for staying with us and your kind words! Our goal is to provide a clean space and exceptional service. Im glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back again!

Reviewed 18 May 2017

The room was average. The normal expectation at Residence Inn is a light dinner and adult beverages. The dinner advertised hamburgers and mixed greens and started at 6:30 pm. When I arrived at 6:50 pm there was a sign pasted on the chafer that said due to unexpected demand they ran out of hamburgers and were offering a veggie burger. Two bites was all I could take. The mixed greens were just that, mixed greens and nothing else. In addition, there was no beer or wine offered.
When asking the front desk what the cost was for the toll road to King of Prussia, she informed me there was not a toll road. When I drove out a short time later, 1/4 mile or less from the front door was the entrance to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, a TOLL road.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
extonri_11, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback and for participating in the Mix event during your stay with us. We often offer both a vegetarian and non-vegetarian food options in both our breakfast and our Mix events. Unfortunately we currently do have have the ability to legally offer wine and spirits but we are excited to have Uno Chicago Restaurant and Bar in our parking lot to cater to this. We will certainly look into have printed directions available for our patrons to ensure we are providing correct information to travelers in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Exton
0.4 km away
4.6 km away
Home2 Suites by Hilton Downingtown Exton Route 30
1 km away
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center at Exton

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton? Share your experiences!