“Passing through”

Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Exton
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Stopped here as a midway point. We stayed in a king studio. The room was very comfortable and large enough for my husband and I as well as our 13 year old son. The room was clean. The breakfast was decent and the staff was very nice. They have basketballs at the front desk to loan. Our son enjoyed using the court on premises. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping near by. Very convenient to the turnpike.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 July 2017

People Make the Difference

Pros:
• Convenient to restaurants, grocery store, and I-76
• Family-friendly one-bedroom layout
• Complimentary breakfast

Cons:
• Loud air conditioning system
• Average in-room experience (channel selection, water pressure)
• Congested breakfast space

Situated in a quiet mixed residential and commercial area off I-76, the Residence Inn Exton has a lot going for it. There is a Pizzeria Uno steps from the front door. Within a 5-minute drive are Target, Chick-Fil-A, McDonald’s, Walgreen’s, and CVS. Expand the perimeter to 10 minutes, and you will find Panera, Friday’s, and your typical suburban retail outlets. Plus, it is very accessible off the turnpike.

This was my second stay at the Residence Inn Exton, both times with the kids in tow. The one-bedroom layout is very family friendly. The pullout sofa is perfect for our young daughter, and there is plenty of space to accommodate our son’s crib. When bed time arrives at 8:30pm, I can close the door to the bedroom and can still enjoy a TV program and read a book. This is a significant advantage to a traditional hotel room.

The room was the previous generation of Residence Inn décor with the predominant green hues. The furniture was in good, but visibly used condition, and the bed was quite comfortable. The shower curtain should definitely be retired. It is important to differentiate between used and dirty. Room cleaning seemed to be good. I usually find hairs or dusty spots but did not find either here.

The bathroom is contained within the bedroom. The design here is also well-thought with the toilet and shower behind a closing door; sink and preparation area are a few steps from the bed. This is ideal for couples or multiple travelers. The shower was standard grade, and water pressure was decent. There was only one pressure setting; it did not have the customize-able options which have become more common.

The most significant issue was the air conditioning system. While it was quite responsive when activated, it sounded like a fire alarm followed by loud pulsation. The air conditioning works quite well, but it is louder than most properties. There is a design flaw somewhere in the system.

In terms of amenities, wireless internet is included. The one-bedroom suite comes with two flat screen televisions, one in each room. Channel selection is the traditional cable lineup – ESPN, TBS, TNT, HGTV.

Complimentary breakfast standard Residence Inn with eggs, ham, waffle maker, oatmeal, and continental fare. Staff was attentive and replenished the items very quickly. Unfortunately, they do not have much space to work with – another design flaw. The breakfast area is very small in proportion to the hotel. On a low occupancy Sunday, the area was full at 8:30am. In fact, they opened up one of the meeting rooms to accommodate overflow. The buffet area is also very small with narrow passageways and minimal counter space. It was as if the master plan did not consider this to be a breakfast area.

Despite these design flaws, the staff here is among the finest I have encountered at Marriott properties. The front desk associate advised that he would be here until 11pm and to call with any requests. When I asked for more sheets, the gentleman brought out two options and made sure that was exactly what I needed. When I went to purchase a bottle of water, he gave it free of charge. And the next morning, when I inquired about a late check out, another associated called me back in 5 minutes to confirm. Finally, the breakfast host doubled as a magician, entertaining the kids with balloons. Friendliness and responsiveness are often too elusive in the hotel industry, and this hotel has mastered the art.

While the facilities and in-room experience are average Residence Inn, the staff elevates this property. What a difference people can make.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
extonri_11, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Dear scl44,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an impressive and in-depth review! As a valued guest, we're so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and chose us for your second excursion into Exton. Though our amenities may not be the most up-to-date, I'm glad to hear you found our rooms and atmosphere comfortable and convenient, and I agree wholeheartedly that our staff is our strongest asset. With a passion to serve, we thrive on knowing we did all we could to make your stay the best it could be, and look forward to having you back at our property should your travels bring you back to Exton!

Reviewed 26 June 2017

My son and I traveled to this hotel for a Lacrosse tournament in a nearby city. The lady who checked us in was very nice and I enjoyed talking with her. We were late because our flight from Atlanta had been delayed over an hour due to weather, and the hotel was an hour's drive from the airport. She mentioned that she did not normally work weekend nights, which I have added here so that she will know that I really appreciated her friendly greeting and conversation.

That is where the delight ends. From the moment we opened the door of the building to go to our room, I knew that this property was substandard. Here are some of the issues that we dealt with during our stay:

Mud was caked on the stairs (this was late Friday night) and it was not removed until Sunday morning. (see picture)

There are no ice machines anywhere on the property. You have to walk down to the front desk where they go into a back room somewhere and bring the ice out to you. I have no idea where the ice is stored and whether it is clean enough to use in drinks or not.

We requested an extra pillow (ONE) and an extra blanket (ONE) and we were told that they had NO PILLOW or BLANKET to give us. What hotel has NO extra pillows and blankets??? And the man was not nice about it either - he just informed me that they didn't have any and that was it - rather matter-of-fact.

There were about a dozen places in our room and in the hallways where the floor would actually SINK down when you walk across it. The holes under the carpet are about the size of a grapefruit and this could be very dangerous to anyone who has issues with balance or difficulty walking due to illness.

Eight out of 10 times that we entered the building on the end with the stairs, there was a ROCK that had the door propped open... so much for security. I don't know how safe that area is, but I did not feel very safe as we were in one of the rooms close to that end where the door was propped open. I removed the rock myself twice, but it seemed to be a fairly common practice as we saw this almost every time we came back to the property. (see picture)

Many other small things were noted - the light fixture in our bathroom was cracked, the elevator buttons are missing huge chunks of plastic, there are stains on the wallpaper - not at all up to Marriott standards.

This hotel is in a general state of disrepair and it is my opinion that the Marriott owners should sell this property as quickly as possible. It has nothing to offer that will attract me to return. Very disappointed as I did not rest due to all of the issues that we dealt with during our stay.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
extonri_11, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Dear Anastasia L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton with us. I am very sorry our current appearance was not what you had anticipated. We strive to maintain the highest standards, not only in service and cleanliness, but also with regards to maintaining the overall look and feel of the hotel. Unfortunately, this sometimes requires essential renovations in our guest areas. Although we fell short of meeting your expectations during your past stay, I hope you will consider Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton on your next visit to Exton so that we can better deliver upon the guest experience you deserve.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

We stayed in Exton to be outside of Philly.... when we arrived the AC was set low and the room smelled musty, but we thought if we turned the AC down, the smell would go away after it cooled the room down...it did not.,it was very damp in the room..very high humidity...the carpet felt damp when walked on barefoot.. the second day house keeping didn't leave enough towels or washcloths or bath mats..however the sweet lady at the front desk brought some down to our room.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
extonri_11, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2017

Dear Bev A,

As the comfort and cleanliness of our hotel is a key priority, I am very sorry that your guestroom fell short of your expectations. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with the housekeeping team in an effort to improve our service.

As our valued guest, we hope you choose to stay with us whenever your travels bring you back to Exton.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

although the hotel is a little dated looking,it was clean and everything functioned well. It was the perfect place for a mini-family reunion. Having a living room and kitchen was great. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. they went out of their way for every request. A shout-out to Bill, one of the hosts, for making a balloon hat for our 4 year old grandson at breakfast. It was the highlight of his stay.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
extonri_11, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

We are so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy time with your family and that we could be a part of that! We love to have children join the fun, especially at breakfast! We hope to see you again next year and thank you for choosing us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Exton
0.4 km away
4.6 km away
Home2 Suites by Hilton Downingtown Exton Route 30
1 km away
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center at Exton

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia West Chester/Exton? Share your experiences!