“Ok the Second Time Around”

Hershey Trolley Works
Ranked #2 of 6 Tours in Hershey
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hershey Trolley Works is based in Hershey's Chocolate World, and all of our tours start and end there. We offer sightseeing, chocolate tasting, historical explorations of the inspiring story of Hershey 364 days a year. During the summer and seasonal weekend of fall and Christmas, our format is a family friendly 45 minute show on the trolley where two actors bring the story to life in a uniquely entertaining way. We also offer a more in depth 75 minute excursion on the trolley, guided by one of our highly entertaining conductors throughout the spring and fall,with limited offerings in summer as well.
Reviewed 8 September 2017

So, this is my second visit and review of the Hershey Trolley Works. And because my first experience was 10/10 awesome and this time was about 7/10, my review may sound a little more negative than it needs to because the first time was SO great. Here's what made the difference: 1.) the TOUR GUIDE- this time we had an older gentleman named Chuck as the tour guide. While Chuck was pleasant enough, his voice was a little garbled, a little gruff, a little harder to understand than the young man we had as a tour guide the first time. The younger tour guide spoke crisper, clearer was more energetic and just was more audible. 2.) The PACE OF THE RIDE- This time, the driver drove a lot quicker. At times I didn't even feel like I was on a tour as we were riding at the same pace as other vehicles just driving on the road. Of course, he slowed at some key points, but I feel like this time was rushed so much more than the first time and we sped past some stops that we stopped at for a few minutes on the first time. It was very hard to take pics, which I didn't really do as a result. 3.) The TOUR WAS CUT SHORT. The first tour I went on was in April, this time was August. Peak vs. non-peak crowds make a difference I know. But because there was SO much traffic pouring into the Hershey complex on this day, and the trolley takes the same route as everyone else, our tour was cut short to accommodate the about 20-25 minutes that it took us just to make it back into Chocolate World. So in addition to being rushed, we skipped some things altogether that were part of my first experience because of traffic-BUMMER! If I'd had this experience first, I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed. However, my first time was flawless and because I knew what the first time entailed, this time was a little disappointing. I still think that this activity is definitely worthwhile and I recommend it for all. The history, the sights and of course, the chocolate that gets passed around all during the tour are must dos in Hershey. However, since I have done it a couple times now, I just may skip peak season excursions and go when I visit off-season and there is a little more time and attention given to the tours.

1  Thank Chantel F

Reviewed 4 September 2017

We took the 75 minute tour which takes you to a few more places than the 45 minute one. If you don't like sitting on hard, wooden seats for 75 minutes with no chance to stand up, i'd recommend the 45 minute tour.
The tour guides were very informative and had a great sense of humor. They also timed the free chocolate to coincide with certain parts of the tour when it came to the chocolate factory.
Overall, it was a great reminder of how amazing Milton Hershey and his legacy was and still is to the day. If you're a first time visitor and have no idea what the Hershey company is really about, definitely take this tour!

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

After reading all the Hershey guides that rate HTW a must do, we were excited to book our tour.
It ended up being mediocre at best. Tour guides are young actors that don't deviate from their script. Hard to interact with actors or ask questions.
Was hoping to learn about Hershey and didn't; between the poor accents of the actors, the weak script and the distracting costume changes it was hard to piece together anything.
The bus ride was nice.
Wish it was a traditional tour or at least less scripted.
Oh you do get a few pieces of chocolate.

2  Thank Carolanne B
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Booked this for two families with boys ages 9-15, lasts about 75 minutes. Chocolate samples handed out throughout, but even without that, our kids paid attention to the story being told by our operator. Really well-done narrative about the area (a great way to see all around the Hershey "town"), and a fascinating story about Milton S. Hershey himself and the wonderful approach he had to improving lives around him--a philanthropist along the lines of Andrew Carnegie. Enjoyed the story, the history, and sightseeing. Well organized. If you have younger children, they offer a shorter 45-minute more-animated storytelling/singing version, btw.

1  Thank cordryka
Reviewed 14 August 2017

This tour was one of the highlights of our trip. Not only was it very informative it was a lot of fun. The tour guides really do a great job keeping your attention. The kids loved it and of coarse you get PLENTY of FREE CHOCOLATE !!!