“Such a delight to find such a family friendly pub, with friendly staff and lovely food”
Review of The Smoking Dog

The Smoking Dog
Ranked #14 of 36 Restaurants in Malmesbury
Price range: US$6 - US$27
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Smoking Dog - a traditional Butcombe pub in the heart of the Cotswolds. Serving real ales and delicious freshly home-made food.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Easter today at the smoking dog was a delight. I visited this beautiful pub for Easter stories and craft with a couple of children who are staying with me. The staff were friendly and the food was good value and delicious. The day was devoted to children, it was relaxed and warm. I’ll be back. Thanks Smoking dog, you’ve brought back the old Atmosphere that I remembered and loved. Great place highly recommend.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We ordered two chicken curries, one hake and one chicken and ham pie at 6:30 pm. Five minutes later the waiter returned to say that they had run out of pie and hake. Food service only starts at 6 pm so they can't have had much in the kitchen. We ordered fish and chips and pork belly as replacements. Thirty five minutes later the food arrived, with the curry looking like "a canteen meal" according to my daughter and the pork belly 2/3 fat and crackling. The actual meat portion was about 3 in by 2 in and 1/4 in thick. Rather a poor helping size. In addition the meat and black pudding were rather tasteless. After a few minutes we suddenly realised that the butternut squash and kale were missing from the curry. The waiter was summoned and he then informed us that the curry was actually turkey and not chicken because they had run out of chicken! (There are two supermarkets within a five minute walk away). Haven't they heard of The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 ? The kale arrived a few minutes later, but no butternut squash. We asked for a discount as we hadn't had what we ordered and the two curries were charged at zero, which seemed reasonable. I don't think we will be back any time soon, despite it being a local pub to us. Some better planning and ensuring the customer is properly informed seem appropriate future actions.

2  Thank 2Js-Wilts
Nik C, General Manager at The Smoking Dog, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hello. Thank you for your feedback.

As we are getting busier and busier, we do tend to sell out of items from time to time due to us only using the freshest of ingredients which we buy in daily.

On that particular day we'd had a full service during lunch and two large tables that had pre-ordered for the evening. I am sorry that this was not explained to you.

We do try to explain what is available or if any items have been changed when seating customers down and make a real effort to do so due to our ever changing specials board.

I do apologise that you felt none of the food was up to standard and can only hope that if you decide to revisit that we meet your expectations and your overall experience is much improved.

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 March 2018

I've been visiting this pub since 2009, on and off.

it's been recently taken over by Buttcombe brewery but I can honestly say the friendliness, atmosphere and environment has remained.

Visited Saturday with my partner and her mum, the new manager is a lovely fella and very friendly.

All the staff were incredibly friendly and I look forward to coming back for more lovely food.

Neighbours need to chill out and give the place a chance!

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Popped in for some pre-Christmas drinks and had a wonderful time. Atmosphere was buzzing and the range of beers was excellent. Roaring fire helps too! Best pub in Malmesbury!

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

Having had a bad experience with the smoking dog last year we thought we would give it another go now it’s under new management.

We went in on a Saturday while the rugby was on. Grandparents, kids and dog and the place was packed. The guy behind the bar was so polite and friendly. The fire was roaring and the atmosphere was great. The kids played a board game and everyone had a great time.

Now the old bell has become so bag the Smoking dog is now the number one place to drink in Malmesbury. Well done.

1  Thank Jambichops