“Not great, needs improvement”
Review of Marsh Farm Hotel

Marsh Farm Hotel
Reviewed 8 August 2017

This is a below par hotel that is just about satisfactory, where a few small things could be done to improve it significantly. It’s in a good location on the outskirts of Wootton Basset, the rooms are OK (ish) , the service is friendly but shambolic.

I booked an executive double which was in the main house, this was affected by some noise from the bar/restaurant area on the ground floor so would suggest better to book a room in one of the annexes, which are separate buildings and are much quieter.

My room suffered from an awful smell which seemed to be a sooty smell that was coming from the (unused) open fireplace in the room. Suspect this was due to a chimney that badly needed cleaning. Reception claimed they had not had complaints re this before and no staff had noticed it (I found this difficult to believe, as it was not possible to stay in the room with the window closed as it was so strong).

The room itself was large with plain but functional furniture, apart from the smell it was clean and tidy apart from some stains on the light coloured carpet and a crack in one of the window panes. There was a nice bathroom with a large bath and over bath shower. No shower gel was provided in the dispenser on the wall in the bathroom and there were no separate bottles (only shampoo).

We only ate breakfast as the main kitchen was being refurbished and although it should have been complete before we arrived, it was not and so diner was just a shipped in curry (that we avoided). Breakfast service was quite poor as hot food items ran out and took time to be replaced whilst I was trying to get my breakfast. This happened on both mornings I was there.

The maintenance regime of this hotel needs to improve and training of staff needs to improve in the restaurant. The upgraded kitchen will no doubt be an improvement but people is really what needs to be concentrated on.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in main building as they can be noisy (there are rooms in annexes)
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Ashwin R, General Manager at Marsh Farm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.The rooms are being refurbished and we are getting to the main house. The food and beverage manager has a training plan in place and most of the team is very new. Your feedback is very valuable to me as we can concentrate on the bad and carry on with the good. I hope you visit us again very soon.

Thanks

There are newer reviews for Marsh Farm Hotel

Reviewed 4 August 2017

I stayed here for a business meeting with colleagues, the room was spacious and clean and the bed was very comfortable.
The breakfast was excellent with clearly free range eggs and good meats. The lunch served at our meeting was also excellent, staff were friendly and attentive and the Wifi works well which is important to me.
The evening meal was disappointing and I will review this separately. I prefer older buildings and this Georgian Hall has been very well modernised and is competently managed.

Room Tip: Try not to have North facing rooms you will hear the motorway.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Thank D.mr S
Ashwin R, General Manager at Marsh Farm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Dear D .mr S

Thank you for your excellent review and my apologies that you didn't enjoy the evening meal. The staff and service including quality of food is exceptional at the hotel and any feedback will be appreciated when you write the review.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Have stayed here many times all have been excellent. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. The breakfast is freshly cooked to order & plenty of choice of hot & cold food / fruit. Staff are very friendly and helpful will definitely come back again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Ashwin R, General Manager at Marsh Farm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear Derek H

Thank you for your wonderful comments and they are really appreciated. We hope to see you again very soon.

Thanks

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

A very nice hotel, set in lovely grounds.

A little far away from local amenities if walking but not an issue if you drive. Getting a taxi is also a massive pain as there is only 1 company local and is always busy.

We stayed In a standard double room, on arrival the room was well presented and clean. Shampoo, soap etc was provided as well as decent tea/coffee making facilities.
Iron and board in cupboard along with trouser press and 4/5 hangers. Ample space in unit under the TV for clothes etc.

Bar within the hotel is open pretty much 24/7 and also a 24 hour reception. Ample parking on site and very easy to find using a sat nav.

I would reccomend this to any couple
/business man who want a nice place to lay your head. Ideal location for traveling to other local places e.g. Cotswolds, bath, swindon etc.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Ashwin R, General Manager at Marsh Farm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Drear Luke

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass on your comments to the team, Thank you for recommending Marsh Farm Hotel.

Regards

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Mrs Seth T here writing this review as I stayed here when I took my Mom away for a birthday break... I had a few hotels to choose from when booking as I had a voucher to use so as this hotel was close to Swindon designer outlet I booked Marsh Farm, I'm glad I did.

We arrived late afternoon and was checked in efficiently and directed to our room in an adjacent block (room 12). We had had to book a small double to share as the twin rooms were all taken but this wasn't a problem. The room was a good size, with a large wardrobe, dressing table area (with usual tea/coffee tray and hotel info), tv and free standing fan (which was useful as the room was quite warm). The bathroom was clean, the body wash/shampoo dispenser were empty but bottles toiletries had been provided.

Breakfast was £10 each and was self service. All freshly cooked and with an excellent choice of cereals, fruits, yogurts, toast, a selection of pastries and a buffet of hot food which was replenished at regular intervals. Tea and coffee and juices were all available.

All staff we met were friendly and knowledgable. All in all we had a good night away in a comfy and good value hotel. I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Dear Seth T

Thank you for a wonderful review and it was very pleasing to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us. I hope That you come again very soon.

Regards

3.0 km away
Lydiard House Conference Centre
2.8 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon

Been to Marsh Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!