“Sunday lunch in pretty surroundings”

The Pavilion Bistro
Ranked #44 of 501 Restaurants in Bury
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 9 August 2018

We ate in the bar area as the restaurant was fully booked but it was a nice table overlooking the bowling green outside at the back. We were served promptly and husband had soup to start which he thought was fine. We ordered a roast chicken and beef Sunday roasts and these were on the whole very good. The chicken was absolutely delicious, lots of flavour and very tender. It came with roast potatoes and vegetables in their own little mini pans. The Yorkshire pud was huge but either hadn't been put in a hot enough tray or was too big as it was crisp and dark on the top but raw and doughy on the bottom. My husband enjoyed the beef but it was a little rare for his personal taste. Otherwise, all good. The fellow followed up with the cheese plate which was nicely presented with grapes, onion chutney and a selection of biscuits. Service was polite and attentive but we had to ask twice for tap water for the table. Price was very reasonable as husband's meal was a set price for three courses.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Love this place, apart from being very convenient from home, love the food, english contemporary with s twist, served just a bit uniquely !! What really sets this place apart is the setting ,followed very closely by the staff !! I feel I do get spoilt when I’m there whether it’s for Sunday breakfast, afternoon tea or a full evening meal and that is why I go back time and time again !!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 5 August 2018

We were party of 18 bowling and with a meal booked. Drinks prices are expensive. £3 for a coffee, and £1.95 for a small tonic water is well over the top. The food is good but not the best. The staff were overall pleasant, although at times a little snooty.
A lot of money and thought has gone into the Pavilion, and with a few changes can become better. The setting is superb.

Date of visit: August 2018
2  Thank Martin B
Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

Have been coming here since it opened and members of our family group on this occasion, have been many, many times.

On our last occasion (1 week ago) the weather was gorgeous and at lunchtime we sat outside for drinks but ate inside and had made a reservation. All outside tables near to the doors and building had reserved on them, I later found out that these are reserved for people who want to eat, further tables around the bowling green are for those just wanting drinks on a nice sunny day, makes perfect sense especially for the delivery of food from kitchen to table.

Having read some of the recent reviews on here I have to concur with some of the constructive criticisms. My 86 year old mother, eats like a sparrow but loves this place and wanted an omelette off the child’s menu, like other reviews, the response was a definitive ‘NO’! Come on guys, where’s your flexibility and customer service? This is not always about price ( we spent over £200 in total on this day) , this is about being over - faced with large portions, needless to say, they cooked her an adult omelette with fries and salad which was of a great standard, but for her to eat just HALF of it! I rest my case.

Next, customer service? Ordered wine, waited 15 minutes for the bottle to come with a table of empty glasses. Needs improving?

Quality of food that came out, as good as always!

The reason for the title of my review ‘is it on the edge?’ is because I sincerely hope the management ( a lovely lady) and her team read these more recent reviews and address the constructive criticisms to improve upon service and attitude and consider all of them with merit.

As wonderful as its location, setting and generally good reviews, do not sit on your laurels because there is always new competition sitting in the wings.

5  Thank 885gillp
Reviewed 28 July 2018

We visited The Pavilion, which previously we have thoroughly enjoyed, on my partner's Birthday last week. My partner ordered Rack of Lamb, which came as a few small lamp chops. This cost about £20; poor value for money. I ordered the Salt Baked Cod which was served at our table, quite impressive. Unfortunately, though, although the cod was beautiful, there were several bones left in it. This cost £24, so again, poor value for money.

Sorry, Pavilion. We are going off you.

We also found it difficult to get any waiter, or waitress's attention throughout our meal.