“Worst experience ever”

The Glen Alan Guest House
Ranked #24 of 117 Bridlington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

The owners are very rude and not welcoming at all. They were disgruntled because we used a groupon voucher for the weekend stay and made every excuse not to provide what we paid for!
my partner and i went into Bridlington for the evening, after checking in, trouble in the town had meant we got split up and i had the keys in my bag with a dead phone battery , my partner had made his way back to the guest house and had to ring the bell, once in he contacted the police for help to locate me as he was extremely worried. It was a distressing night for us both and in the morning i was disgusted to see a note pushed under the door asking us to leave and not to bother coming down for breakfast!!!!! The way they spoke to my partner when he went down to ask why was so rude, they were unwilling to listen and we had to book elsewhere.
Do not stay here unless you are over 70 and you like stuck up rude owners. Worst experience I've ever had.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
brenda c, Owner at The Glen Alan Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2017

I cannot believe that TripAdvisor are allowing this total and utter rubbish to be published.
When these guests arrived, they asked if they could have a late checkout (12 noon) on the Monday I kindly agreed. The next time we heard from them was when the husband rang our door bell at 1.25 am, he was shouting on the phone at his wife stating "You left me, You left me, I didn't walk away", he was taken to his room and given a second set of keys, then just after 2.00 am a member of the public rang and said she had a lady with her who was lost, she knew where she was staying, she rang our guesthouse, why didn't she just ring a taxi? Both the husband and wife were intoxicated and on her return to the guesthouse, they immediately started arguing very loudly and swearing. Room 3, which is below them rang on our emergency number and complained about the noise, it is now 2.30 am, I went to the room and asked them to please be quiet, but this fell on deaf ears and I stated, that if they did not be quiet, they would have to leave.
When we went downstairs the next morning room 3 had left a note and their keys stating " We could not stand the noise and foul language anymore and have left, they put the time they left which was 3.15am).
I put a note under the couple’s door asking them to leave and not to come into the breakfast room as we had lots of guests in for breakfast and I knew they would cause a scene. The husband came down and started shouting at me and became quite aggressive, I explained that because of their actions and behaviour, I had to give an £85.00 refund to room 3. I again asked them to leave but the husband refused and got right up in my face stating "I'm not leaving, I've paid for 2 nights and I'm staying for 2 nights", I truly thought he was going to headbutt me. he kept following me around, I was very shaken up and in the end I was forced to call the Police, they arrived and went straight to the couples room.

The wife informed the Police: -
1) She had lost her phone? Strange, the husband was shouting at her on
the phone on arrival and in the bedroom for almost an hour!!,
2) The husband was really worried about her? Really? So Worried he didn't even
bother to go out looking for her.
3) She got a member of the public to ring our guesthouse, Why did she not get them
to ring her husband so he could go and fetch her?

When the Police escorted them off our premises, the husband returned an hour later asking for his wife's phone charger? If she lost her phone, why would she need a charger?

I am now contacting all guests who were in our guesthouse that night and asking them to forward their reviews.
I was never rude to either of them, if I did not want them in my guesthouse over a weekend, why did I agree to a late checkout on the Monday? I don't know where they managed to stay on the Sunday night as an emergency email was sent out to all members of the Bridlington Tourism Association warning other owners of this very aggressive couple. I have been in this industry for over 15 years and never in that time have I had to call the Police.

I am appalled that TripAdvisor, after explaining all this to them, have taken the side of this drunken, foul mouthed couple and published this utter rubbish. I even offered to give TripAdvisor the Police Crime number, so they could confirm my statement.

I hope that whoever reads this review, will look at all other true reviews and make their minds up as to who is telling the truth.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

Just got home from a lovely weekend away, the Glen Alan guest house was amazing value and the hosts treated us like life long friends. The breakfasts were delishious and nothing was too much trouble. The room we had was big and the bed was that big and comfortable we didn't want to get up in the mornings! Will definately stop there again and highly recommend

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alyson2805
brenda c, Owner at The Glen Alan Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Thank you for the lovely review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and our lovely comfy bed. Look forward to meeting you again. Kind Regards Brenda

Reviewed 21 October 2017

Spent three nights here and found it to be clean and good value for money, the room whilst small was clean and well maintained . The breakfasts were good and freshly made.

One small negative was the time slots for ordering a cooked breakfast 20 - 40 minutes depending on the day , whilst we understand the reasons for this it did mean that having a lie in meant missing breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
brenda c, Owner at The Glen Alan Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Breakfast times depend on how many guests request breakfast, if only a couple of rooms want breakfast, we normally ask them to come down anytime between 8.30 and 9.00, this does not mean you only have 30 min to enjoy breakfast, it just means come down between those times. If more, we normally say, 8.00 - 9.00 and 8.30 - 9.30 on Sundays. Taking into account guests spend approx. 1 hour dining and we have 8 bedrooms to change, if we served any later, we would not have enough time to clean rooms ready for the next arrivals. Hope this has not deterred you from returning. Kind Regards Brenda

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

Great hosts, very clean and well maintained guest house and having spent 3 days there I couldn't find a fault and will return. Added bonus was a very nice breakfast. The hotel is near to the town center and quite ideally placed. Parking is available I used a long stay opposite that cost £2.90 a day so very reasonable.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and our lovely breakfasts. The car park opposite is a good deal but you could have purchased a parking permit from ourselves for £1 per day. Look forward to meeing you again. Kind Regards Brenda

Reviewed 19 September 2017

We stopped over night here on Sat 16-9-17 with my partner! We parked opposite and got a parking permit free. The room was spotless , clean an tidy! We had breakfast which was awesome! We will defo stop here again if in Bridlington! Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Quiet hotel