The Marina(Bridlington)(Great Value!)
  • Breakfast included
Malvern Guest House(Bridlington)
US$76
US$62
Summerfield Guest House(Bridlington)(Great Value!)
US$64
Crab Pot Cottage(Flamborough)(Great Value!)
US$74
Kilburn(Bridlington)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I spent a week in July 2011 at the Tamarind and cannot wait to go back.The world famous breakfasts ruin your appetite and the dinners are equally delicious.Anne Marie will gladly change her meals to suit your needs.The rooms are excellent with whb,mini fridge and satellite tv.As you arrive, Gerry serves coffee and biscuits and takes your case to your room.The Guest House is ideally located being near the beach,harbour,leisure facilities,shops and train station.York,Scarborough,Hull,Beverley,Hornsea and Whitby are nearby.The welcoming lounge has a good choice of books and DVDs.Prices are very reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank John L
Reviewed 3 September 2011

My family stayed with Anne Marie and Gerry over the summer and as usual it was a brilliant holiday. We have been going eighteen years now and this is because they are a lovely welcoming couple who go all out time and time again to make sure your holiday is special in everyway . Please ignore the previous review made by someone else as its no way truthful to what the place is truly like . Anne Marie and Gerry are always helpful and nothing is to much trouble , we are glad to call them friends , however they treat you like family as soon as you walk through the door which is what anyone wants while away on holiday .

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank hotelinspectorfan
Reviewed 31 August 2011

After an upset to previously booked holiday, I went on to Bridlington and found Tamarind Guest House were the cheapest, so I booked for my husband, son and myself. I am so glad I found it, it was a real Godsend. Anne-Marie, Gerry and Reece were absolutely great! My six year old is a very faddy eater, but nothing was too much trouble. They bent over backwards to ensure our stay was a real home from home. We were greeted with coffee and biscuits, then after forms filled in were shown to our room. The house was very clean and everything we asked for was immediately dealt with for us. When my husband was taken ill in the evening, Anne-Marie and Gerry were wonderful, organising medical help and ensuring that I did not feel alone in my trouble. They let my son and I stay an extra night as my husband was kept in hospital, and made sure I knew I could go and talk to them if I wanted. All in all Anne-Marie was like a second mother to me at that time. I have already booked for next year and have highly recommended this lovely couple to my friends. They even posted my son's glasses back to us when they found them whilst clearing the room.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank GillMiller
Reviewed 27 August 2011

A real review of the Tamarind Guest House ... Where to start - well with the tea/coffee & biscuits of course - soggy biscuits at that, and sitting in the over crowded, loud, musty & warm living room for a good 40 minutes before we received any paper work!

The bedroom was old style furnishings, complete with a mini fridge - which included a reused bottle of water, and what looked like Woolworths old stock of free milk cartons. Although on a good note there was a t.v, but on a bad note it didn't work! The bedroom wasn't properly clean, with hairs everywhere - including in the bedding & again the small of musty dirt.

The shower / toilet were absolutely filthy, as were the breakfast bowls - which leads onto the actual breakfast itself - if you have an appetite it wont be fulfilled. And if you get bored at breakfast - as many of us do, there is always the pet guinea pig that is brought in when your half way through your eggs & bacon - yummy.

The staff are however friendly, at times a little overwhelming.

I would not recommend a stay here unless a deep clean and an overhaul of the layout has been at least thought about - yes it may be cheap, but then again you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chico t
tiree, Owner at Tamarind Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

You claim to be writing a "real review", implying that other reviewers may not have done so. Given Trip Advisor`s zero-tolerance policy on fake reviews, (Sunday Times Travel Section, 21/06/11), one can only assume yours has passed their rigorous scrutiny, yet your location is given as Maui, Hawaii. Our records indicate that we have had no non-EU visitors so far this year, let alone August, when you claim to have stayed. The registration cards for this period show visitors came from Hull, Leeds and Sheffield, but none from Maui.

We have had some problem in matching up events you describe to the people who have stayed with us in August. For example, you claimed to have travelled as a couple and had a problem with the televison in your room not working. The only complaint we have had was about a brand new ( we have just completed the digital switch-over here) television whose remote control batteries were not working, and that was from a family (parents and daughter) in two rooms, not a couple.

The forty-minute wait for paper work is another thing we find difficult to match up. We ask guests to fill in a registration card whilst they have tea/coffee and biscuits, and usually then recieve a bill or receipt. Whilst it may sometimes occur that many guests and other visitors/potential guests arrive in a very short space of time, we cannot recall such an occurance in recent weeks that would had led to anything like that time for you to be left unattened in a "over-crowded, loud, musty and warm living room" to fill in "the paperwork", which comprises a registration card. Unlike some establishments, we do not ask guests to sign waivers and other legally binding documents prior to handing over the room keys, nor do we demand immediate payment at the time of registration, so the "paperwork" you may have been expecting to have been given does not apply in our case.

I do recall my husband having to leave the family I mentioned earlier at one point during their booking in; this was to move his car to accomodate a large family of guests who had arrived whilst they, the parents and daughter, were debating between themselves whether to stay one night or two, and I immediately replaced my husband for the registration to continue.

We totally reject the implication that you were left unattended or ignored for any appreciable length of time when booking in.

Your comments regarding the bedroom we can beg to differ on as to the style and age of the furniture is a matter of personal opinion, and it is possible to find hair in various places in any home, though one obviously takes care to remove them, but all rooms are cleaned prior to guests entering them. The bottled water in the mini-fridge are replaced as required for new guests. As not all guests take advantage of these free bottles not all are needed to be replaced but all bottles are checked at each turn-around to see if they are still sealed. If an individual bottle as been overlooked or mistakenly thought to have been unused then it would have been replaced immediately had it been brought to our attention at the time. We believe we are one of the few guests houses/hotels in this price bracket to offer free bottled still/mineral waters in bedrooms, and are often compliemented for doing so.

Also in the mini-fridges are the milk pots for the free tea/coffee sachets, replaced (at no charge, unlike other establishments) every day which you described as ex-Woolworth`s stock, implying that it was out of date and cheap. The milk pots are bought from a leading national chain of wholesalers, used by many in the industry. Again, the only problem we can recall anyone having with them in recent weeks was some which were found to have gone off, possibly as a result of previous guests turning off the fridge overnight; they were replaced immediately.

Whilst we totally reject your assertion that the shower room was "filthy", we would point out that, by your own admission, your stay seemed to co-incide with that of several other guests (re your comments about booking in), possibly involving a large number of children. In this situation it may have been that the shower room was left untidy. Again, we do what we can to ensure such shared facilities are looked after, but it is not always possible to restore them between guest use with such a small interval between use.

Again, your comments about the cleanliness of the breakfast dishes we totally reject; had there been such a level of dirt on them as you imply then surely you, and the others at breakfast, would have raised the matter then and there. Your comments about the breakfast are also difficult to square with what most others have said, both to us personally and through reviews elsewhere on Trip Advisor, even to the extent of posting pictures. For those not familiar with our fare, we offer four different cereals, orange juice on each table, refilled upon request, a cooked English breakfast of two sausages, two rashers of bacon, egg, fried bread or waffle or hash browns, tomatoes or baked beans alternating and occasionally mushrooms as well, followed by toast with a selection of four different types of jam and marmalade, finished off by tea or coffee, refilled on request. At several points throughout the breakfast you would have been asked if you required more toast or orange-juice or tea or coffee, so how was it that your appetite left unfulfilled, and why did you not request more?

I referred earlier to having difficulty in matching up events described in your review to recent guests. Nowhere is this more true than in your assertion that our pet guinea pig was brought into the dining room during a meal time. Since you were "half way through your bacon and eggs" I would be in the kitchen, since I do not come into the dinin g room until guests have finished their main courses, my husband would be still serving and our teenage age son rarely surfaces for breakfast, so it is hard to imagine under what circumstances it was brought into the room and by whom.

A positive note - the Staff are friendly but occasionally overwhelming, except we do not think of ourselves as "Staff". Staff are what you find in bigger, more impersonal places. Here we go by first names, because we want it to feel more homely than hotel.

Finally, we are not sure as to how we can alter the layout to better suit your needs, and you imply that you may consider coming back after "a deep clean" that you recommend. Should you do so, we hope we would meet your expectations, but also that this time you would have the courage to tell us personally of our shortcomings rather than through Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 28 March 2011

Really friendly atmosphere being coming here for quite a few years now wouldnt stay anywhere else . Rooms are very clean and comfy and the breakfast amazing and plenty of tea and coffee which is a big plus for a tea belly like me.

• Stayed: March 2011