“Not as good as it used to be”

Wheel House Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 41 Restaurants in Mevagissey
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 October 2017

I had not been here for several months and there appears to have been a change of management. The waitress was very polite and the food was Ok but I did feel that the portion size was less than it used to be. The menu was limited and the prices are a little high. To be honest I was disappointed, which is a shame as I used to go in there one a week during the winter months.

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

We had a family lunch today. Things did not go that well but the staff were polite, professional and happy to put it right.
Speed of service seems to be the main problem. A couple of people on this site have complained at making an order and being told that it was not available some time later. That seems to be a recurring issue of communication between the kitchen and front of house.
However, some of the bad reviewers don't seem to have given them a chance to fix it.
When I brought matters to the manager she already had it in hand.
We had a refund from the bill that I was happy with and left with no complaints.
BTW the seafood here is good value in my opinion.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

We went in here for lunch as we had heard it was very nice. However, the ownership had changed since our friends had last visited.
My husband had fish and chips and I had the fish pie. Whilst the food was very tasty, we felt it was rather over-priced for the size of the portions.
I am not a big eater but even I found the portion of fish pie very small ( on a bad day I would even call it a bit mean).
The fish and chips portion was better sized although most of the plate was taken up with chips rather than fish.
Had the prices have been a little less, then I would not have felt the need to criticise. Very sorry Wheel House...very tasty food but over-priced for the portions size.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

We had the all you can eat breakfast with toast and tea and what a delight it was. Superb locally sourced food and reasonably price. Would recommend!

Reviewed 11 October 2017

We visited the Wheel House on a Sunday evening, and had a really lovely meal. As it was a Sunday the restaurant was not busy, and the service was prompt with friendly waiting staff. The only reason I have not selected 5 stars is that we chose the restaurant with hopes of having the shared seafood platter, which was (as was the case for much of the menu) not available; however, to be fair this was to be expected on a Sunday night. We instead chose mussels and the fish of the day, which was plaice. I was not particularly optimistic following the initial disappointment of availability, but was entirely proved wrong when our meals swiftly arrived. The plaice was enormous and cooked to perfection, and the mussels plump and flavourful. We would definitely recommend the Wheel House - but do go on a week day to give you more chance to try the rest of the menu!