“Girlie weekend away”

The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in St Austell
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My daughters and I had booked our annual girlie weekend away at this hotel. Which we had been looking forward to for a long time so needless to say I was very upset when I found out that the the pool and jacuzzi etc were closed as we just wanted to chill and relax. But we were offered a meal in the restaurant as compensation which was very nice food .

The receptionist we spoke to was very pleasant and went out of her way to help us , we were also given a 30 min spa treatment each which again was very nice. I think if the situation had been sorted differently guests would not have been so annoyed when they arrived and then to be told the pool was closed . But we did have a lovely weekend at the hotel and stayed in the woodland lodge which was very nice and well equipped.

Room Tip: Woodland lodges lovely
Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
CornwallHotel, Manager at The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review, your comments are appreciated. We are sorry the pool area was unavailable during your stay, and for the disappointment this caused. We have a wonderful team here at the hotel, and I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your free meal and treatments, as well as your lodge accommodation. I’m also very pleased to advise that the new, improved pool area is now open. Please do come again soon!

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,119)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I booked this hotel two days before a one night's stay (Visiting the Eden Project) - I chose this hotel mainly because of the Spa facilities - however, as previous reviews have mentioned, this was shut.
After my booking, I had contacted the hotel twice to clarify a few points and at no point was it mentioned that the spa facilities were closed.
I find this dishonest and would not have booked it had I known - there were other disappointed people in reception when we checked in, who also had not been informed.
The room itself was very pleasant - however, without the spa facilities we could have easily have stayed in a Premier Inn (cheaper too). After a busy day - nobody really wants to start searching for alternative accommodation.....
As I felt that the staff/management had not been honest with me, I then felt I did not want to eat at the hotel either, so we went out to eat dinner (Polgooth Inn- 5 min drive) and had breakfast at Ramshackle Rosie's -(both highly recommended and full of character).
We did make a formal complaint to the Manager the following morning and to be fair, we were offered a free return stay when the spa was open - however, as we were unlikely to return to that area in the near future, we declined and were offered a 25% discount on out night's stay which we accepted.
Reasonable hotel - but would not use again because of the dishonesty of the situation.

Room Tip: Ask for a view
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kim L

Hi Kim,

Thank you for your review. I’m so sorry to hear that we couldn’t make up for the closure of the pool, we certainly would have tried our best to. The closure was planned, but the extent of the issues we needed to fix wasn’t quite known until we began the work. It was a situation that changed daily.

The pool area is now open and the essential maintenance has resolved all the niggles that guests had started to express on this forum. However, it is a shame that this impacted on your stay, and also that we couldn’t make it better for you whilst you were on the estate.

I do hope that you enjoyed exploring Cornwall.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We arrived to be told the pool, jacuzzi, etc was closed. We were offered a pass for a nearby pool but we had no interest in going off site after such a long drive. We were offered a complimentary meal from a set menu. Went to spa and were accommodated as a last minute booking. Two of the spa staff stayed later to do this; the massages were fantastic. The meal was great and we bought a local wine to accompany it. The staff throughout have been wonderful and gone out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Finished the day with a mulled cider; lovely. Whilst the stay wasn't everything we envisaged we would return when everything is back up and running.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi Rebma76,

I’m so sorry that the temporary pool closure impacted on your stay, it sounds like it would otherwise have been pretty perfect! I’m pleased to read that the other aspects of your stay were so good, but most of all, I’m proud that my colleagues were so helpful during your stay.

Do come again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Fortunately had checked Tripadvisor before our arrival and knew the pool and spa was closed. Was not offered any compensation until it was asked for, we were then given a free meal in the restaurant. The receptionist was doing her best, but there was no feeling of any management support.
Lodge 2 was very nice indeed, clean and well equipped for self catering (could have done with kitchen roll towel being supplied). Grounds looked lovely. Meal in restaurant indifferent.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Grandadlen

Hi there,

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry the pool was temporarily unavailable, but I hope you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant, and that this made up for it a little. I’m pleased to read your feedback about the grounds (beautiful in autumn!) and your lodge. We have recently been updating the interior of the lodges and this will continue into the New Year. Please do come back again soon for the full ‘Cornwall Experience’.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Booking made months in advance. Arrived for girls spa weekend to find the spa was closed and had been for over a week. Not only did they fail to inform us but the spa staff had known weeks in advance that the planned repairs were taking place. This was brought to our attention by fellow guests who had previously tried to boon spa treatments. Obviously staff failed to mention this when telling us about the closure. Furthermore, they had said it was a day by day situation whereas we had been told they knew it would be at least two weeks. Constant lies. They tried to pass us off with a free pass to a nearby pool (outdoor pool at a caravan site 5-10 min drive down the road). We weren’t there to drive around Cornwall to find an outdoor pool. We had booked a ‘luxury spa’ and woodland lodge. Staff were unhelpful, some were blatantly rude. Stains all over the sofa bed, pretty disgusting. Such a shame as the lodge itself was lovely.

Won’t be returning or recommending.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
6  Thank LPS86

Hi there,

Thank you for your review. We are committed to offering a fantastic experience but the pool and drench showers in The Clearing Spa have been bothering our guests for a little while now, so it was time that we called ‘time’ on temporary fixes. The maintenance and upgrades to the pool area have now been successfully completed. However, this impacted on your stay and we let you down; for this we are sincerely sorry.

I wonder if you could get in touch with me by calling the hotel? I would like to discuss how we can make up for your disappointment and I’m really concerned that this wasn’t discussed during (or ahead of) your stay.

Great to hear that the lodge was comfortable, we are currently upgrading the lodge furnishings; this will be completed in early 2018.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Austell
11.2 km away
The Fowey Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey

Been to The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate? Share your experiences!