US$121
US$118
US$193
US$166
The Arches B&B(St Austell)
US$86
US$70
Hotels.com
Topos Bed & Breakfast(St Austell)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$242
US$231
The White Hart(St Austell)
US$209
US$199
US$88
Court Farm(St Austell)(Great Value!)
US$24
Pitchup.com
The Carlyon Bay(St Austell)
US$264
All reviewspool and hot tubeden projectelizabeth roomred letteron arrivaltea and cakefree upgradecold buffetstayed longerscallopslounge areakipperslovely roomrelaxing stayspa treatmentscooked breakfastfull english
Reviewed 8 November 2017

I agree with previous comments that initially the hotel is beautiful, that the welcome is warm & friendly but after that it all changes.
Our room, Scarlet, was dark & a little dated, with a fridge, tea & coffee making facilities in a cupboard which was damp smelling, The bathroom was small & cramped with a very tired shower cubical.
The main bed was very comfortable but the son bed my 2 sons had to sleep on was a disgrace. The mattress was only as thick as a 50p coin by 10am my sons could not sleep and I had to call reception to get assistance with the issue. I was offered that my 8 year & 5 year old could sleep in another room down the corridor . They are far to young for this . Or they could all get into bed with me !! If as parents you've ever shared a bed with a child it like sleeping with a wiggling, arms throwing ninja.. As this was a treat from my husband for having worked 1 week of nightshifts I could have cried... I then offer a suggestion of getting a secondary mattress for the sofa bed. This arrived promptly, another 50p thick mattress, was plopped on the bed & the member of staff was about to leave when I asked if she was going to put a sheet on the mattress ? I eventually helped putting it on to get the job done and had to put it over the two mattresses so they did not slid apart in the night..
Breakfast was also a let down with adult only selection of cereals, no croissants or pastries, fruit was soggy. When we eventually got served the children did enjoy there english breakfast but my eggs benidict was one slice of paper thin muffin (not a full muffin) 1 egg, ham and what tasted like jar sauce ...
I had asked the night shift staff if they could hand over about the mattress as I did not want too discuss this at check out in front of all the breakfast guest but alas it was not done. After a loud telephone conversation with the manager that all of downstairs heard I got £40 knocked of my bill. This was not worth over £200 a night, the only plus is the pool.
O and one last think don't expect to get a meal or room service in the hotel on a Tuesday which wasn't mentioned when we booked...
So very disappointed, was a waste of money..

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Weegie75
Reviewed 24 October 2017

Stayed in Sep and from arrival to departure found the experience to be very stress free. The hotel is surrounded by trees which creates a nice peaceful outlook but is still central and ideal for many local attractions. We dined on our first night and had scallops and croquettes (my fav!) to start and then beef and pork belly all dishes showing attention to detail , did not get to use indoor pool or hottub but lounge and bar all nicely furnished. Staff finished off the experience all show passion for what they do. Will go back next time in area !

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J J
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Initially this hotel is beautiful, we had a warm welcome by the lady on reception. However upon spending a little time here it really isn't worth spending over £500 for 2 nights. The public areas are beautiful, very clean and lovely furnishings. The bedroom looked luxurious on first impressions but then the damp/musty smell kicked in. The bathroom needed lots of attention. Wobbly toilet seat, mouldy walls and ceilings and temperamental shower. The built in wardrobe also had mould in. Our room had double doors that opened out into our own private garden area, the doors were mouldy and the net curtains were mouldy/dirty. One of the bedside lamps was held together with expanding foam, and the hook that held the Austrian blind cord in place was wobbly.

We had a full body massage which was relaxing, although the therapist was a little too chatty. If having a mani or pedi chit chat is fine, but when trying to unwind and relax you don't really need to hear about her rescue dog, boyfriends car and what she's buying the in-laws for Christmas!

The bedroom picnic was not worth the money. We ordered it to arrive between 7:30pm and 8:00pm. At 8:10pm my partner called reception to see when we would be receiving it. To be told that it was just coming and that they were very busy tonight. We then waited a further 5-10 minutes for something that was 'already on it's way' the waiter/receptionist bought in our bedroom picnic with candle and asked if we would like the candle lit. He then didn't have a lighter and advised he would be straight back. 10 minutes later we were still waiting, my partner called reception again. We had been forgotten about. We also asked if he could bring some butter as we had a basket full of bread and no butter. This arrived straight out of the fridge and unspreadable. There just wasn't enough food for the both of us. Too much for 1 but not enough for 2. We also had brownie with clotted cream and berries. One small piece of brownie for 2 people. £19pp is pretty disgusting. And the service was very poor on this occasion.

We wanted to relax by the pool/spa area on Saturday afternoon, but a hen party of 12 had taken over. We spent a little time in the pool that was freezing! Then went in the spa. When we had finished and wanted to leave as the hen party were using the 4 loungers, there were no towels, staff don't seem to keep an eye on replenishing things. So we had to put our robes on dripping wet and squelch back to our room. Upon returning to our room the phone was ringing, my partner answered and we were told we had to pre order our meals as they were busy this evening. The menu was a small set menu and coming from a catering and hospitality background myself to ask a table of 2 to pre order, there really is no need for.

The evening meal was delicious but service not so great. The waitress even apologised with words to the effect of sorry we have neglected you, we've got a hen do in tonight. Suggesting that a hen do is more important than us.

Lastly, breakfast was inconsistent, I had 'eggs' benedict on the first morning (one egg and half a muffin) my partner had a full English. Tasty and well presented. But one egg? And half a muffin? On the second morning I had a full English. Only quarter of a slice of fried bread, when my partner the day before had half a slice, and no hash brown on my breakfast.

I have left feeling my birthday weekend has been tarnished by a damp smelling tired room and overshadowed by a hen do that seemed more important to the hotel than us.

Your money is taken before you are asked how your stay was. I feel this is very sly. There was a form to fill in about our stay, I wonder if anything will be done about all of the faults we had to spend over £500 finding out about.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank designadiva86
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

I discovered this hotel seven years ago and stayed here again as it’s a good base to explore Cornwall. I didn’t have time to try out the spa treatments but I did use the swimming pool and hot tub. The room was charming and the bathroom was nice and warm (much appreciated as it is now quite chilly in the evenings). Breakfast was tasty and plentiful and the staff were friendly and helpful. The restaurant is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays but I had a lovely dinner here on the Wednesday evening. I would love to come back.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Alison F
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

We were quite impressed, it was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful, as we were travelling with our dog, we were in Joanna a dog friendly room, this was well laid out small but functional bathroom it had a small terrace just outside of French doors. The only downside to this was that it was on the furthest side of the hotel from the carpark and access was directly from outside at the top of a flight of steps, as it was raining we got a bit wet going to and from the room, but otherwise very good. Breakfast was good served in the conservatory, good choice of continental, and an option to order full English. We would go back again if we went back to this part of Cornwall.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple