“mike,lisa mabil”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Joy
Country Log House Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 10 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 June 2014

very this is the best place you will ever stay. if you want to take your family to a great fun place this is it. we come here all the time jim and mim are the best. every morning jim will take you on a hey ride to his brothers farm then you come back and get to feed his animals fun for the hole family.

Room Tip: any room is great
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mlmabil4564

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My kids 6 and 8 year old had so much fun they didn't want leave. They enjoyed exploring the farm and helping with the chores. Daughter especially enjoyed gathering eggs from the hens. Our 8 year old really liked playing with the kittens. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. Jim and Mim are so welcoming and friendly and their house is clean and cozy. We are definitely planning to return.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Claudia D
Reviewed 8 June 2014

First let me say that this place may not be for everyone. The property is a real farm complete with farm sounds, farm smells, etc. So if you are looking for a theme park or petting zoo version of a farm then you should probably look elsewhere. But if you are looking for a real down to earth unique experience that your family will enjoy, then this may be the place for you.

I took two of my children (ages 5 & &) to Country Log House & Farm over the Memorial day weekend. The first thing that struck me was how peaceful the surrounding are and how much this place felt like a home. I've been to a lot of B&Bs and most are basically an inn that serves breakfast, few capture that feeling of being "home" like this one. Jim and Mim are really special people who make you and your family feel so welcomed.

I was also very please to meet the other families who were stay with us over the weekend. There were a mix of kids ages 3 to 9 and they all got to know and play with each other over the weekend. The parents were unpretentious gregarious folks who were looking for good wholesome fun with the family just like we were.

Each day my children and I would wake to the smell of a yummy breakfast cooking. At 8 am Jim would ring the big bell outside to signal that breakfast was served. As other reviewers have commented, the breakfast is amazing and was different every morning. My kids loved the chocolate chip pancakes, of course. But they also tried some the scrambled eggs and quiche. They always served coffee, tea, juices and milk. Fresh fruit, homemade jams and breads were always on the table. Unless you are vegan, it would be hard not to find something that you will like. Me personally, I tried just about everything and liked it all. As other reviewers have mentioned, Jim does preface breakfast with two lines from the bible and a short prayer. My family is Christian (though not Mennonite, like Jim & Mim) and we say grace before meals so this was perfectly fine with us. Like another review said, I would be fine with anyone of any religion taking a moment to express their thankfulness for the good things in their life.

After breakfast we would go outside with Jim and start off by feeding the goats and sheep. Be sure to bring rubber boots for your kids to wear because they'll probably want to go in the pen with the goats. Next the kids would go into the chicken coop with baskets and collect the eggs. If you are ok with it, Jim can sometimes catch a chicken and let your child hold it. Probably not the best idea for the smaller kids because they're tough to hold on to and they could give you a scratch. Next is the hay ride to a real dairy farm. If you can bare with the occasional smell that is inherent to cows, then you will be rewarded with a really great educational experience. We got to see the cows being milked and even saw a newborn calf taking its first steps.

After the hayride we had the rest of the day to ourselves. You are free to roam the farm, play on the swing set and trampoline (note: children should be watched because the trampoline does not have netting around it). There are cats and kittens on the farm that kids loved to pet, too. I took the opportunity to take the kids to Dutch Wonderland which is about 20-25 minutes away and perfect for the age group of my children.

We stayed in the Garden room, which my kids thought was really neat. There's a door on each side of the bedroom which leads to two different sets of stairs to go down to the first floor. The other unique aspect of the room is the set of stairs that lead to your bathroom on the third floor. I guess if you have an issue with climbing a set of stairs to use the bathroom then you probably won't like this room. The kids and I saw it as something different and cool.

As other reviewers had mentioned, the inside of the house is spotless. I honestly don't know how they do it. One thing that helps is that they like guests to take their shoes off before entering. They don't stand there policing people about it, but it only makes sense - it is a farm afterall. If you like to keep your shoes on, then you might want to pack and extra set to have a clean pair for inside the house.

One other tip that, as a responsible parent, I would share is to ask you to keep and eye on your children and make sure you have a talk with them about how you expect them to behave. Jim and Mim are very patient and kind with the children and really deserve people to be polite and respectful of their property. Since the property is a farm, there are places a child could get hurt if you are not minding them. My kids are little rascals who like to climb on everything and get into everything so I had to make sure they knew what was out of bounds for them (like getting on the trampoline without me watching, for example).

I am very glad we chose to stay with Jim and Mim. The kids loved it. I loved it. And we have great memories of our stay that we'll always talk about.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Harleysville_Bill
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The farm is located in the farmland where you see in the distance horse drawn carriages and fields as far as the eye can see. Mim and Jim are very welcoming and you instantly feel like you have visited many times before. We arrived (my sister and I and 5 kids age 7-11) on good Friday and even with a house full of their family we instantly welcome and felt part of it. The next day starts with a huge country breakfast served country style such foods as eggs, pancakes, baked oatmeal, toast, potatoes etc. The kids finished breakfast fast so that they can go out and do "chores" feeding the goats and sheep. There were plenty of baby goats to go around. One of which was born that first night. They had a friendly 2 week old baby lamb who must have thought she was a dog, once out of her pen she followed the children around. Then we went on a hayride around their farm and their family's dairy farm adjacent to their farm. We saw and learned how they commercially milk cows. We saw a baby cow that must have been born while we ate breakfast. He was still wet and standing on very shaky legs. When we got back to the farm we went into the hen house to collect eggs in baskets for the next day breakfast. There was an outside trampoline and swings which were well loved and used. My daughter cried when we left (we stayed just 2 nights) she said she will miss her goats. The house and property is pristine and so well kept you feel like you are walking into a painting. The furnishings and home is simple and functional. A short note that they are religious Menonites and take 5 minutes before eating to read 2 quotes from bible and grace. My family is Jewish and we were not bothered by this and just embraced the differences and the belief that we the same good people. All in all it was an awesome experience and I would recommend it for everyone. Nearby check out the Turkey hill experience with taste lab the kids loved it. Country table restaurant in town was awesome with great prices, country food and yummy bakery (we ate both dinners there). My kids want to know when we can go back, I am gonna plan to go again this year.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ycats321
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We've stayed here twice & it never disappoints. Since we're a family of 5, the Whispering Pines Suite is just the right fit. The home is cozy, warm & very inviting. Mim's breakfast is to die for especially the zucchini soufflé (yummy). The kids love feeding the animals after breakfast & the hay ride is always a highlight. If your planning to head to Lancaster or Hershey, it's all about 30 minutes away. I look forward to another great weekend next year.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Been to Country Log House Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!