“Wonderful experience with welcoming hosts”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Joy
Country Log House Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 10 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here three nights while traveling between DC and New York. We used it as a home base to explore Amish country and Gettysburg. But, my kids (12, 10 and 8) really didn't ever want to leave the farm. They had fun helping out, going on hay rides and playing with the menagerie of kittens, sheep, goats lambs and chickens. There is a swing and a trampoline and a huge lawn for chasing fire flies at night. We would come back in a heart beat. The rooms are comfortable, a bit small with luggage, but overall very comfortable. Breakfast is amazing - the best of Dutch country cooking, and Jim and Mim are welcoming hosts.

Kathy C. - Texas

Room Tip: The Whispering Pines Suite was perfect for our family of 5.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Kathy C

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My daughter and I have stayed here for a few days each of the last six summers (while she was ages 4-9); we absolutely love it. Jim and Mim are welcoming and wonderful hosts and feed guests a delicious breakfast. The farm has chickens, sheep, goats and always a new litter of kittens, which has made it quite heavenly for my daughter. Mount Joy is a lovely town, and Dutch Wonderland (great for younger kids) and Hershey Park (great for older kids) are not very far away.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Laura G
Reviewed 20 June 2014

very this is the best place you will ever stay. if you want to take your family to a great fun place this is it. we come here all the time jim and mim are the best. every morning jim will take you on a hey ride to his brothers farm then you come back and get to feed his animals fun for the hole family.

Room Tip: any room is great
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mlmabil4564
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My kids 6 and 8 year old had so much fun they didn't want leave. They enjoyed exploring the farm and helping with the chores. Daughter especially enjoyed gathering eggs from the hens. Our 8 year old really liked playing with the kittens. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. Jim and Mim are so welcoming and friendly and their house is clean and cozy. We are definitely planning to return.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Claudia D
Reviewed 8 June 2014

First let me say that this place may not be for everyone. The property is a real farm complete with farm sounds, farm smells, etc. So if you are looking for a theme park or petting zoo version of a farm then you should probably look elsewhere. But if you are looking for a real down to earth unique experience that your family will enjoy, then this may be the place for you.

I took two of my children (ages 5 & &) to Country Log House & Farm over the Memorial day weekend. The first thing that struck me was how peaceful the surrounding are and how much this place felt like a home. I've been to a lot of B&Bs and most are basically an inn that serves breakfast, few capture that feeling of being "home" like this one. Jim and Mim are really special people who make you and your family feel so welcomed.

I was also very please to meet the other families who were stay with us over the weekend. There were a mix of kids ages 3 to 9 and they all got to know and play with each other over the weekend. The parents were unpretentious gregarious folks who were looking for good wholesome fun with the family just like we were.

Each day my children and I would wake to the smell of a yummy breakfast cooking. At 8 am Jim would ring the big bell outside to signal that breakfast was served. As other reviewers have commented, the breakfast is amazing and was different every morning. My kids loved the chocolate chip pancakes, of course. But they also tried some the scrambled eggs and quiche. They always served coffee, tea, juices and milk. Fresh fruit, homemade jams and breads were always on the table. Unless you are vegan, it would be hard not to find something that you will like. Me personally, I tried just about everything and liked it all. As other reviewers have mentioned, Jim does preface breakfast with two lines from the bible and a short prayer. My family is Christian (though not Mennonite, like Jim & Mim) and we say grace before meals so this was perfectly fine with us. Like another review said, I would be fine with anyone of any religion taking a moment to express their thankfulness for the good things in their life.

After breakfast we would go outside with Jim and start off by feeding the goats and sheep. Be sure to bring rubber boots for your kids to wear because they'll probably want to go in the pen with the goats. Next the kids would go into the chicken coop with baskets and collect the eggs. If you are ok with it, Jim can sometimes catch a chicken and let your child hold it. Probably not the best idea for the smaller kids because they're tough to hold on to and they could give you a scratch. Next is the hay ride to a real dairy farm. If you can bare with the occasional smell that is inherent to cows, then you will be rewarded with a really great educational experience. We got to see the cows being milked and even saw a newborn calf taking its first steps.

After the hayride we had the rest of the day to ourselves. You are free to roam the farm, play on the swing set and trampoline (note: children should be watched because the trampoline does not have netting around it). There are cats and kittens on the farm that kids loved to pet, too. I took the opportunity to take the kids to Dutch Wonderland which is about 20-25 minutes away and perfect for the age group of my children.

We stayed in the Garden room, which my kids thought was really neat. There's a door on each side of the bedroom which leads to two different sets of stairs to go down to the first floor. The other unique aspect of the room is the set of stairs that lead to your bathroom on the third floor. I guess if you have an issue with climbing a set of stairs to use the bathroom then you probably won't like this room. The kids and I saw it as something different and cool.

As other reviewers had mentioned, the inside of the house is spotless. I honestly don't know how they do it. One thing that helps is that they like guests to take their shoes off before entering. They don't stand there policing people about it, but it only makes sense - it is a farm afterall. If you like to keep your shoes on, then you might want to pack and extra set to have a clean pair for inside the house.

One other tip that, as a responsible parent, I would share is to ask you to keep and eye on your children and make sure you have a talk with them about how you expect them to behave. Jim and Mim are very patient and kind with the children and really deserve people to be polite and respectful of their property. Since the property is a farm, there are places a child could get hurt if you are not minding them. My kids are little rascals who like to climb on everything and get into everything so I had to make sure they knew what was out of bounds for them (like getting on the trampoline without me watching, for example).

I am very glad we chose to stay with Jim and Mim. The kids loved it. I loved it. And we have great memories of our stay that we'll always talk about.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Harleysville_Bill

Been to Country Log House Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!