“Weekend getaway ”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
Reviewed 4 September 2015 via mobile

My husband and I are staying here now. Very nice and clean. We left another hotel based on it not meeting standards and booked here at the last minute. We checked in late but they were super nice and understanding. Gave us great food recommendations and things to do in the area. Breakfast today was hot and good (considering it's a hotel). The pool was clean and inviting. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West

Reviewed 25 August 2015

Friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms, toasty warm in the winter with great A/C to keep comfortable in the summer. Close to shopping, downtown, and easy access to all the freeways. Lots of parking and near the depot if that's where business takes you.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

I used to be a huge fan of the Marriott brand, seeking out their hotels whenever I travel. But my experience at this hotel has really soured me on the entire brand.

I booked a room at the government rate about one week before arriving. At 0830 the morning of my arrival, the manager sent me an email informing me that the hotel only honors the government rate for official government business and that in addition to my government ID, I would have to pay with a government credit card and show government orders. This has never been required in the past and, in fact, we have been told by our employer that we are allowed to book at the government rate for personal travel. I was later informed it was at the discretion of each hotel, which,ok, fine, but what i CAN'T accept is that I was not informed of this policy at the time of check in! About half an hour after I checked in, I stopped by the lobby to pick up something from their little pantry and the person at the desk informed me that they would be charging me a rate $36 higher than the rate I had booked at. He didn't even call me in my room to tell me! He then inquired if I had received the email from his manager that morning and I replied that I had not, as I had been traveling all day and had not checked email. If the hotel had either honored the government rate this one time and told me this policy would be in effect from now on, or told me at the time of check in (at which time I would have walked across the street to one of the many other options right next door), or even been proactive about calling me in my room immediately after checking in, I would consider that good business and I would not be writing this review. By telling me after checking in, with 2 tired children and my mother upstairs and settled in, I was pretty much left with no option but to patronize this poorly run establishment. So, Marriott managed to get $36 out of me, but I will certainly be actively avoiding Marriot hotels in the future.

And maybe this is just sour grapes, but the entire hotel also had a bit of an off smell and my son (who regularly swims in public pools, gym pools, other hotel pools and amusement park pools), broke out in hives on his skin and had very red, puffy eyes after swimming in the hotel pool for about 2 minutes.

On the plus side, the morning staff was super friendly and helpful with breakfast and check out.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank JenniJuniper
fairfieldinnh, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2015

Greetings, I apologize for the experience you had at our Hotel. Per the rate rules on our website that are viewable prior to booking, we are a business only Hotel when it comes to our government rates - protecting the few that we have each night for federal government employees traveling for federal government business, being reimbursed by the government. We are proactive by trying to call and/or email all guests prior to their arrival to remind them of the Rate Rules listed for our specific Hotel to avoid any surprise or issue at the Hotel upon check in. I have worked with the front desk agent that check you in to be sure he understands the best way to approach this situation in the future. Thank you for taking time to share your feedback!

Reviewed 16 August 2015 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay! We chose this hotel because of it's proximity to Hershey Park, only 20min drive. I scoured Trip Advisor for reviews at the surrounding hotels in New Cumberland, and this had the highest ratings, so glad we stayed here. We stayed in the King Suite, which was wonderful because it had its own sitting area with a pull out bed and TV, our son loved that! I was pleasantly surprised by the makeup remover towelette in the bathroom, as a female who wears makeup I put it to use. Excellent stay.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2015 via mobile

My family and I stayed at this hotel and went to Hershey Park. The drive took about 25 minutes. The hotel is very clean, quiet and comfortable. All hotel staff that we met asked how our stay was and if we needed anything to let them know. Donna does a very good job of feeding the masses at the breakfast buffet, which was included with the room. I would recommend this hotel for a pleasant visit outside the more crowded areas of Harrisburg.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Cumberland
0.2 km away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New Cumberland
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New...
#1 of 14 in New Cumberland
6.6 km away
Hampton Inn by Hilton Harrisburg West
0.8 km away
Days Inn New Cumberland/Harrisburg South

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West? Share your experiences!