All reviewssofa bedadjacent garageper nightwalking distancerooms are spaciousoatmealdefinitely stay here againthe breakfast areafree shuttlerecommend this hotelthe hotel staffshuttle serviceusbconnershelvingforbescloset
Reviewed 14 June 2018

Staff: Impressively competent and friendly, both at the front desk and at breakfast.
Room was new and clean.
We did get parking in the adjacent garage.
However, it is disappointing that a new building is not better sound-proofed. Noise from both the hallway and the road were problematic (on the 4th floor).

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Forbes Ave and on highest possible floor.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2018

First I believe in fair reviews, good or bad. I am a Marriott Rewards elite member and always stay at Marriott properties. When I am traveling, I do not want to be inconvenienced or annoyed due to hotel issues. This is the reason I prefer Marriott hotels. That being said, this stay involved my daughter who had been traveling all day to get to Pittsburgh for an important test and job interview. Had this been just myself, I would not have been happy, but the fact it was my daughter was absolutely unacceptable to me as a parent trusting the Marriott brand. The ck in process was great, upon room inspection the bed was full of hair. Disgusting. She called the front desk to complain, I wish I had the individual's name, gentleman was very professional and helpful. While waiting for him to inspect the room, she entered the bathroom area, shower was also full of hair. The room had been "cleaned" and "inspected'. My daughter was assigned another room immediately. This staff member stated, and I quote, "this has been a problem, and the cleaning supervisor should be fired." Upon retiring for the evening, some sort of party was going on in an adjacent room. Loud music, loud conversations. I understand this is not the hotels fault, my daughter called the front desk to to complain, the music and noise stopped fro about 30 minutes. At this point she gave up, I would not have, and turned the A/C up to drown out the party noise. This Marriott offered a partial refund, $100.00 from a $400 stay. The Marriott Rewards department, very concerned, professional, helpful, credited my account with 10,000 bonus points. I still recommend Marriott hotels, as I have always had above and beyond experiences for years. Marriott Center City and SpringHill Suites in Mt. Lebanon (15 minuted from Center City) are excellent hotels in terms of accommodations, staff, and amenities. I was trying to book a Marriott property as close to my daughter's interview/test. Marriott Center City was booked. So, in summary, I still recommend the Marriott organization and properties, just not this one. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else....
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Samson C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Pittsburgh Oakland/University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Hello itsjustkar,

Thank you for another honest review and for your candid feedback. We are constantly striving to create the best guest experience possible and unfortunately we came up short during your daughter's visit. We will continue to improve and refine each of the aspects of our hotel that you pointed out so that we can provide the best experience possible for future guests.

All the best,
Samson Cassel Nucci
Guest Relations Manager
Residence Inn by Marriott Pittsburgh Oakland/University Place.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed here this past weekend for a volleyball tournament at the convention center. The rooms were very nice, clean and roomy. The entire staff was amazing and very friendly and accommodating. The shuttle service was easy and convenient. We stay at a lot of hotels and this one was one of the best. We will stay here again.

Also great local restaurants and right near the Pitt campus.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed here while visiting the university of Pittsburgh. The room was very clean, quiet, and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and modern. The hotel itself is modern, also. Breakfast was decent: eggs, waffle machine, muffins. Location was just a 10-15 minute walk to campus. Overall, a pleasant stay. The only minor negative was a $20 per night charge to park in the adjacent garage, but the fee was disclosed up front at the time of booking.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Cindy D, General Manager at Residence Inn Pittsburgh Oakland/University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Chris R
Thank you for the review of our hotel. As you are aware we are a great choice when visiting one of the 5 Universities in our area. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to the Pittsburgh/Oakland area.

Reviewed 26 April 2018

What is it with you Pittsburgh? Old and decrepit buildings, constant rain, a never ending feeling of sadness and despair. Behold! I've found a new hotel! Hope and excitement filled my soul as I ventured out to the Residence Inn Oakland/University. Is this new construction? Is it a rehab? I don't know, but it smelled fresh and looked like it was built in this century and not the 19th century like the rest of this city. As I settled in and began to consume this property I quickly realized that it felt like the builders put this little matchbox together as fast as they could and along with those whose thoughtless design acted as a blueprint for the builders packed up and left town before anyone could notice the sham that they left behind. There is a never-ending feeling of darkness throughout the 1 bedroom suite. Tiny windows everywhere. A cheap plastic floor on which the desk chair on wheels is more fitting to be a source of amusement rolling around than a usable office chair on which I could do my work. No electrical plug in sight. The height of the chair (on wheels) seriously mismatched to the height of the desk. The desk itself not even offering enough depth to place my arms on it to support hands on the keyboard. The bathroom... its blinding fluorescent light and its shower that begs for more water to drip out left a lot to be desired. I felt like someone was holding a garden hose over my head showering. More water please. Lights! Lights everywhere, but not from the sun, from the infinite "whatever-lights" on the wall, ceiling, microwave, stove. I remember laying in bed trying to fall asleep feeling like I was trapped in a sterile all white ward of a French hospital emergency room. The green blinking light in the CO2 detector was blinding. The noise from the cheap appliances in the kitchen was not conducive to sleep. I had to shut the door to the bedroom. Please, make sure you get the 1 bedroom suite, Trust me. Is this a decent hotel? Sure, it's not bad, but it's very poorly constructed and it just feels like no one put any thought or care into it. It's haphazard and has zero appeal. It's not welcoming or warm. It's just blah. Should you stay here? Yeah, why not, it's inexpensive and convenient, but don't expect to leave overly satisfied. It's like new Chinese car - good from far, but far from good.

Room Tip: Get a 1 bedroom, the noise and lights from appliances will keep you awake otherwise.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank AM-NYC1

Thanks for you feedback. We are a custom built hotel that has been open since June 21, 2017. I will be sure to review your comments with my team. Thanks for staying with us.