“Kristal”

Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southside Flats
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This would have gotten a 4 because as great as it is, it’s not the original ... and nothing beats the original. They do, however, do a really really great job with this location. It’s definitely a solid, consistent 4. The 5 comes from them finally introducing my all time favorite German beer. Kristalweizen. If you’ve never had a Kristal, I’d highly recommend. It’s basically a Hefe that’s been filtered. Add a lemon and you have a great summer beer. Drink that in the Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh Biergarten and you get 5 stars!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,053)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I really liked Hofbrauhaus! The hostess didn't seem to enjoy her job too much, but our server was great! I didn't feel like they make you feel as welcome as a lot of restaurants do with their greeting when you get there and telling you to have a nice day when you leave. The food wasn't the best food I've ever had, but we really did like it. We will return for sure.

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

Last leg of a 4,100 mile road trip. We had breakfast in St Louis and rushed to get here before they stopped serving dinner at 9:00...WE MADE IT! Restaurant is huge. We opted to sit out on terrace, which was a good choice. Quieter than inside and pretty view of river. Our waiter Tommy provided great service and was very friendly! Schnitzel, red cabbage and spaetzle did not disappoint! Combo appetizer was really good! We parked on the street, which is free after 6pm. We really had a good time and felt it was worth the stop!

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Taste testing of six types of beer on a board. Not a beer drinker, but my husband enjoyed the different varieties to try. Decent food. It's been a while since I've been there.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

I had wanted to go there for a long time, and we finally made it. The food, the beer, the service and the ambiance was all I had hoped for, and I would have given it 5 stars. However, there was a serious problem with the parking. My son had to drop me off at the restaurant and then leave the car at a garage several blocks away.
This restaurant is huge and seats a total of 1,100 customers inside and outside on various levels. So the lack of close parking is a serious issue!
I am German, and I am often disappointed with so-called "German food" in this country. Not this time! My son and I ordered a "Schmankerlplatte" for 2 which included 2 Schnitzel, 4 slices of pork roast, 3 different sausages and sauerkraut, fried cabbage and mashed potatoes. Everything tasted very good, but I think we both liked the Wurst best.The price was very reasonable for this generous amount of food, and we even took some of it home for lunch the next day.
The "Dunkel" beer (= dark lager) went very well with the hearty dishes. I was too full, but my son ordered a dessert. He gave me a sample to try, and that was about the most delicious Black Forest Cake I have eaten anywhere! We couldn't have asked for a better meal!!!

1  Thank Reiselust1947