“Excellent Thai; frenetic atmosphere”

Nicky's Thai Kitchen
Ranked #26 of 2,288 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Nicky’s most certainly lived up to my expectations for a great meal and filling portions. Everything was exceptionally prepared and tasted exactly at the level of spice that the three of us requested. So, on the good side, I haven’t had much better Thai cuisine than here at Nicky’s.

The only downside, and it wasn’t that much of a big deal for us, is that the place is 100% chaotic. There is very little room to maneuver once seated so once you’re in your spot you are basically glued in place. The noise level is high as well so if you are looking for a quiet conversation filled dinner you can forget it. Fortunately my wife, oldest son and I could’ve cared less about talking to each other because we were too busy shoving the delicious food down our throats. But for people looking for atmosphere this isn’t the place.

The food came out exceptionally fast, almost too fast to be honest. I was halfway through my spring roll appetizers when out came my main course. That too was fine ultimately, except I had to stop multiple servers from taking dishes and asking us if we wanted boxes before we were done. This, I would imagine, is due to them understanding that a quick turnover on a Saturday night does two things: makes them more money and gets patrons to their shows or events downtown on time as well. Since we had tickets to a show at Heinz Hall it was appreciated but again if you want a dining “experience” that doesn’t feel chaotic or rushed this isn’t it.

At the end of the day if you are a fan of this cuisine, as we are, you must go to Nicky’s. It has some of the best Thai food we have ever had and we’ve been many places. Enjoy!

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Food was yummy. One thing that could have been better was the Thai iced tea. I have had better Thai iced tea in other Thai restaurants.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

This is our 3rd time in Nicky's and since I ordered curries before, I decided to try something different. I chose Jalapeno Squid in the lunch menu. I like jalapeno and I like squid so I thought Why Not? I gave the dish description a cursory glance and that was my big mistake. When the server set my order down on the table, I was dismayed to see slices of jalapeno ALL OVER and hardly any squid (a few puny ones here and there). I had my mind set on a squid dish with some jalapeno for a spicy kick. I didn't realize that it's actually a jalapeno dish with bits of squid I could search for (post-Easter Squid Hunt?) I poked at my food looking for the squid and maybe a stray green bell pepper or something other than jalapeno (none - it's a jalapeno dish, remember?) My husband noticed the lady next to our table was commenting on HER food littered with jalapeno and she and I exchanged a few words about the unexpected amount of jalapeno we inadvertently ordered. Let me say it again that it was my mistake for not paying more attention when ordering and not asking questions beforehand. Although the place was busy, service was excellent. I'm sure we'll be back again but for now we headed to Klavon's Ice Cream in the Strip.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

When I want Thai this is the only place to go. Nicky’s has the heat you want and the homemade Thai food is amazing.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

This is THE place for Thai food in Pittsburgh area. Not just one entree, all of them.....outstanding. There is no question if you like Thai food p, you know about Nicky’s. Only problem is the risk of wait without reservations. Top notch.