“Great place for lunch”

Ranked #8 of 40 Bakeries in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$7 - US$11
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 3 August 2016

It doesn't look like much, but the food is excellent. Along with baked goods, they also have a full menu including various pastas and sauces, soups, pizza, salads and sandwiches. They also have some of the best beans and greens I have ever had. Everything is fresh and high quality.

There are tables outside to sit when the weather is nice, but there are only two high top tables inside with no chairs. I love coming here for lunch, but wish there was room to sit. If you don't mind standing to eat or taking the food to go, I highly recommend Colangelo's.

Reviewed 26 June 2016 via mobile

I was next-door getting a fantastic cup of coffee and wandered into the bakery thinking I would get a pastry. I noticed that they served lunch and I was hungry. I ordered pasta and red sauce with basil. Unbelievable. I sat outside with my coffee and pasta. Yes, I also grabbed a pastry. So sue me! It is not high dining but is fantastic food. This is exactly what you would expect on the streets of Italy. One of my best moments in Pittsburgh was sitting outside with great coffee, a fantastic dish of pasta, and my nice pastry. It is near the area called The Strip. Lots of great walking and shopping.

If you're in the area and want to get a quick, but absolutely delicious and economical, Italian meal this is it. Merely because it's rough dining should not make you think it's rough food. It is what you would expect in a fancy restaurant but in a much more casual setting. A transformative experience.

Since this bakery and the coffee shop are connected you can wander between the two of them and sit right out front.

1  Thank Eric V
Reviewed 12 May 2016

While getting a coffee at LA Prima you are drawn by the aroma from the bakery next store. A perfect compliment for the strong coffee. The hidden delight, however, are the lunches. I asked the attendant what the speciality was and he retorted without hesitation beans and greens. It is a mixture of beans and greens sautéed with garlic served with fresh bread. It is easily enough for two but alas it is too good to share. They don't always have the same selection so it is a surprise on what is the day's bill of fare. Worth a trip to the strip even if you can'[t find a place to park!

Reviewed 16 March 2016

A few different places offer cannolis in the strip district. We've never had a bad one. On our latest visit, we were on our way to our vehicle (at the NE end of the strip district) when we realized that we had not purchased any cannolis. We asked people local store owners for recommendations for cannolis near that end of the strip. They recommended Colangelo's, where we had cannolis and lady fingers. Both were excellent. Next time we visit the strip, we'll be stopping at Colangelo's.

Reviewed 10 March 2016

I agree with a previous reviewer A Daimond in the rough. Best food!!!! During the summer months we love to order and grab a table outside and enjoy our food and watch all the activity going on around us. When I dont have time to stop and eat I'll order a container of their home-made sauce and bread to go. Authentic italian food

1  Thank Nickallie