“Good for Take Out”

Angkor Restaurant
Ranked #236 of 2,305 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 25 May 2017

Angkor is great for take out. They have a large menu with many options. Be sure to tell them how spicy you want your food, as I ordered the Pad Thai and it was not spicy at all. It was still very good though and a reasonable price for large portions.

Reviewed 21 March 2017

I travel a lot and I'm always searching for interesting places. Hit the jackpot with Angkor. As others have said it is nestled in the middle of a strip mall in the middle of a gas station and fast food jungle. Step through the door and you are transported.

The menu is extensive and besides Thai standards, there are some interesting choices that I have only seen on the menus of true Cambodian restaurants (there are a few in Boston where I'm originally from). I ordered these and was delighted with my choices. The food came out hot, fresh, and beautifully presented. Portions are ample and prices are beyond reasonable. Do yourself a favor and go for some of these less well known dishes. Note, I almost never give 5 stars to a place. Angkor earned them all.

It does not appear to have a large clientele and this is a real shame. They seem to be doing everything right and deserve to have more customers.

Reviewed 1 December 2016

Wow! On a rainy cold Wednesday night we walked in on impulse, not expecting much. After all, this is a restaurant in a bland strip mall. The first thing you notice is the exquisite, elegant décor; beautiful teakwood carvings and an lovely place settings. Be sure to try the soups. I had a lemon-grass soup that had a fascinating back-taste. Try the ginger tea, served in a beautiful cast-iron pot with rock-crystal sugar. The food is different, well-prepared and well-presented. The portions are huge. We just discovered, by accident, a new favorite restaurant.

Reviewed 7 October 2016

I found this place by searching places to eat near my hotel. It is a nice little neighborhood restaurant with decent menu options.

1  Thank Oldku
Reviewed 24 August 2016

To be fair, we only visited this restaurant once. We went with friends, based on the reviews. That was the first mistake.
Second mistake was getting excited over the "authentic Thai food". Not.
The restaurant was empty when the eight of us arrived. Empty. We were the only table. Still, there was a hubbub about where we'd sit, with the shadow waitress annoyed that we wanted to sit in an alcove because it would be quieter. "But that's a table for ten" she protested. Yes, we would make it up with the tip, we promised. She made no bones about how disgruntled she was, though.
A few points. If you have a brand new waiter with someone shadowing him to make sure he gets it right, the shadow should speak up now and then. Like when the brand new waiter has never heard of "club
Also, train your waiters to WAIT. If someone is in the middle of a sentence, it's really irritating to have the wait person interrupt, not just once, but constantly. Even asking "Is everything all right here?" could have waited 30 seconds until the person speaking had finished their sentence.
If you're going to serve dirty utensils, and a customer points it out and asks for replacements, apologize. And since they're all wrapped in a napkin together, take back all those utensils, not just the errant spoon.
And for Pete's sake, teach your waiter the terms! Our waiter had never heard of nuoc cham. He wasn't sure what fish sauce was. Thai chili peppers were beyond his ken.
We really had been looking forward to this. Really disappointing.

1  Thank krashtest d