“LOVE Their Cheesesteaks”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Southside Flats
Reviewed 11 April 2015

Great food. Do not expect fine dining, but this place hits the craving spot. Their sandwiches have the perfect amount of cheese and meat and if you want vegetables. They are HUGE too. The fires are to die for. I heard loud banging and asked what it was. Yes they were cutting the fires themselves. I like that. I had cheese on them. Great stuff. I have also had salads here. It comes in a real bowl -nice touch. Big too, and it was very good. Fast and friendly.

Reviewed 8 September 2014

Uninspired fare, uninspired kitchen. Serviceable food, to be sure, but nothing special. There are several more interesting and competent kitchens within a ten minute walk.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have been to southside steaks nearly a million times. I am a big fan. I almost always get the bacon chicken ranch sandwich. i really like it. now this place is not fine dining and at times in the past it has seemed a little grimy but they have cleaned the place up some in recent years. Make sure that you keep your receipt after you purchase.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Live close and my husband and I always stop by on Sunday afternoon. Amazing food and great people! If in the pittsburgh, stop for a great lunch! WAY better than Philly!

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I’m not much of a cheesesteak aficionado, but I do know a good sandwich when I eat one…and I had a good sandwich here.

Declaring my cheesesteak ignorance, I asked the cashier (his name was Steve, I think) where to start. He asked me my preferences (something not too busy, some spice is okay), he suggested I get an “classic” Cheesesteak – just steak, grilled onions and Cheese Whiz on a roll – and to add homemade Buffalo Sauce.

I’m a sucker for fresh cut French fries – which they have – but didn’t think I had room for that and a whole sandwich, so I’m glad he told me I could get a half-sandwich and fries (plus a drink) for $8.50.

I got to watch him make my sandwich to order (it was 2:30, so I don’t know how busy they are at the height of lunch hour). I asked what makes this an “authentic” Philly cheesesteak, and he said it has a lot to do with bread they get sent in fresh from Philadelphia. I don’t know what Pittsburgh bread would have tasted like, but I definitely liked that their roll didn’t get soggy with all that cheese and sauce.

Food Verdict: I liked that the Buffalo sauce didn’t drown the taste steak and cheese (although I really couldn’t taste the onions at all), and as mentioned, the roll stood up to the ingredients and was the perfect size. But the fries were the star for me. I told the guy I like them crispy (since I saw they were fried to order), and that’s exactly what I got. Next time I might just make a meal out of those smothered in gravy and cheese.

Final Thoughts: It was good food and exceptional service. If I had to note areas for improvement, it would be the super-sticky floors and smudgy windows in front of the grill area – how hard is that to keep clean? But the ambiance was definitely amusing – they have funky doors lining the ceiling, contest(?) pictures on the wall and a display case of funny old stuff like a Gameboy and other 1980s gadgets.

What else can I say? I got a good (and perfectly sized) meal at a good price and will definitely come back to try some less “classic” sandwiches…not sure I’ll be able to go to long without craving those fries either!