“Fun Place”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southside Flats
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Really fun place to go with friends. Food is average, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We found the Gypsy Cafe while searching online for a unique place to dine with friends during a two day visit to Pittsburgh. My husband, who was born in Yugoslavia, Googled "Croatian dining" and found one of his favorite Croatian dishes, cevapcici, on Gypsy's menu.
Garmin made the off-the-beaten-path location easy to find, but we had to circle the neighborhood several times to find a parking place.
I would describe the ambiance as romantic with a shabby-chic gypsy vibe, combining religious icons with antiques and white table cloths. The staff seemed genuinely happy to meet us, and were quite helpful, offering thoughtful suggestions when we were making our selections
The beverage menu featured a number of European beers that we don't often find in American restaurants, house special cocktails that were tasty and potent, and a very nice wine list.
We started with a flaming saganaki appetizer, which was was spectacular, and enjoyed by everyone. The cevapcici was deemed by my husband to be the best he's ever had. I followed our server's recommendation and ordered the Cossack Chicken; she was right, it was fabulous. Because the servings were large, we had no room left for dessert, unfortunately.
If we lived in Pittsburgh, we would be regular customers.

2  Thank MB M
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Can I just say that this is not normally a place I would visit. But when i saw that they did themed brunches on Sundays, I just couldn't pass it up. This is a charming, fun, delicious place on the Southside of Pittsburgh.

One of the few places we have chosen to revisit, it is never disappointed!

Reviewed 7 January 2012

This is an intimate restaurant almost next to City Theater so make a reservation if there's a show scheduled. We had to wait for our table to open up as there were no others available and the diners were done with their meal but sitting and talking - awkward, I realize, for the maitre d', though we did remind him that we had an 8:00 show to attend. There were four of us who all enjoyed our dinners and drinks as well as the live jazz. I had the sweet potato gnoochi, which was excellent, and came with a salad as I believe all or most of the entrees did. In fact, the entrees were so good and the cafe so pleasant that after the show we returned for dessert.

Reviewed 30 December 2011

Backl street wanderings, will find you at the door on the cafe. Bohemian, is what you may say. Food choices are very good, andf sometimes you may run into Gypsy music being played or some locally known jazz artists