“Excellent Small Plates”
Review of Tako

Tako
Ranked #32 of 2,426 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Description: Richard DeShantz is the Chef/Owner of Richard DeShantz Restaurant Group in Pittsburgh, PA. The group includes Meat & Potatoes, a seasonally-inspired gastropub; Butcher and the Rye, an acclaimed rustic Americana restaurant with an extensive whiskey program; täkō, a farm-to-street fusion taqueria focusing on fresh ingredients and chef-driven tacos; Pork & Beans, a Texas-inspired BBQ and smokehouse; and Poulet Bleu, an American Bistro in Lawrenceville.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We enjoyed a great dinner at Tako a few days ago. The menu is limited but has plenty of good choices. We loved the Mexican theme. The service was timely and pleasant. It is a place dominated by hipsters; we were by far the most senior diners. We will go again.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

I'm so glad we FINALLY got to Tako! The tacos (and salsas) were amazing and the margaritas (I had the pineapple/jalapeno one without the jalapeno) were wonderful. We sat at the bar, since we didn't plan ahead months in advance. The service was great and all the food we saw going by us looked amazing, too. I couldn't decide, since everything looked so good on the menu, so I took the suggestion of our bartender and she definitely steered me in the right direction, though all of us enjoyed our food. The tacos were also a lot bigger than I expected and filled me up more than I thought they would.

I can't wait to go back. There is so much I want to try!

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

First time visit. I called last month to get a reservation and it was 5 weeks out for a Friday or Saturday night. Now I know why! The custom made guacamole is the bomb! The tacos come in pairs, we had 2 carnitas and 2 Korean barbecue. I would get the carnitas again. The drinks are an exotic mix of flavors and great to experiment with. Or stick to the standard margaritas which are great also.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Small downtown restaurant with big flavor!! Reservations are a must because it fills up fast. Visited on a Friday night and the place was jamming with a Dj. Has a cool hipster vibe. Had the chips with 3 sauces and they were all delicious!! The tacos were great we tried baja(fish), chorizo(served w/ an egg), and carnitas!! Classic margarita was just average. Served in an old fashioned glass $10. Beers were cold. Definitely recommend!!

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

We booked a dinner reservation a month and a half ago to get in on a Saturday night, the only time available was 8:15 so we took it since I have been dying to try it. The restaurant is a little dark, they had a live DJ spinning 90’s rap (which we loved by the way), the servers and hostess were fabulous, friendly, efficient and very knowledgeable. There is not a ton of seating so you are basically sitting right next to other dinners, no big deal but I’d prefer my own area and not hearing the others next to me. We ordered the 3 salsas/chips, custom made crab guacamole, 3 pairs of tacos (Korean- my favorite, the Chorizo very good, and the Adobe pork I believe). While I didn’t have enough room for the Adobe my husband said it was his favorite. The chips and salsa were good but nothing spectacular but for $7 reasonable. The guacamole was good but was pricey at $17, the regular guacamole starts at $14 which I think is too much. Overall we enjoyed our meal and the ambiance and think it was worth it to try once but don’t think we’ll be back since it was a little pricey for tacos when there are so many taquerias that are just as good at a far much lower price like Doce in South Side.