We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shawnee on Delaware
Santosha on the Ridge Bed and Breakfast Sanctuary
Reviewed 13 September 2016

My wife and I were looking for a short getaway in the mountains to finish up the summer with some light hiking, sightseeing, walking and eating. We had been hearing that the Delaware Water Gap was a great place to visit some waterfalls and commune with nature.
I GOOGLED "Yoga retreats Delaware Water Gap" (my wife does yoga five days a week). Santosha was the first place that came up.
And while they no longer offer yoga on premises, this LOVELY Bed & Fabulous Breakfast is serene, clean and just what the Doctor ordered.
While it's not too far off the beaten path, its deep enough into the woods on the side of a mountain overlooking another mountain ridge (on the NJ side of the river) and it's just perfect.
From the moment you drive up and see the whimsical and spiritual labyrinth and wonderful vegetable garden and the house. Oh, the house! It's spectacular. No, really, it is. Architecturally speaking, it's stunning.
Our host, Leslie, greeted us at the door and invited us to take off our shoes inside (I like that practice... and if Leslie didn't have a cute little dog, Lucy, roaming the house, you might be tempted to eat off those floors, they're THAT clean). Leslie is a yoga instructor and vegan baker and master cook, among other things.
She runs a tight ship and is a fount of information of things to do, sights to see, mountains to hike, wineries to visit and places to eat.
The view from the RELAXING and EXPANSIVE back porch has to be taken in. The air is clear and I was able to breath deeply there and enjoyed playing my guitar on the back steps while I watched the hummingbirds flit about, to and thro from the hummingbird feeders strategically placed around the house. My wife climbed into the hammock and oohed and aahed while I rocked myself on the swing. It was a pretty nifty Mayberry RFD moment.
Part of the B&B experience for us has always been the room.
Our room - the Sunrise Room - really met our expectations and then some. The King Size bed was inviting and the epitome of comfy, as were all the furnishings in the room. The bathroom was large with a rain shower and large arched picture window like the one in the bedroom. There was a large walk-in closet. A pair of Santosha Robes for after the shower/bath... a bookshelf filled with interesting reading. And a self contained Sony CD player with a nice selection of Windham Hill style New Age Jazz and Easy Listening.
We love the Leslie's design sensibilities, decor and taste. Modern meets rustic with some truly inspired spiritual and funky touches throughout.
There is a large living room downstairs that overlooks the expansive porch, I've already waxed prophetic about. Leslie keeps tons of reading material, menus and maps here. And she is quick to provide very detailed driving instructions to any local attraction.
Our goal was to unwind at a waterfall and visit the sacred stones of Columcille, which is a mini-Stonehenge type private park that offers some hiking and quick exploring. We did all that and squeezed in a stroll through East Stroudsburg and a visit to a local winery.
Now, about Breakfast (with a capital "B").
Who was it who asked, "Why is it that other people's breakfasts are always so much better than one's own."? Well, that's particularly true at Santosha. There were always FRESHLY BAKED COOKIES available at the kitchen counter (and hot tea for late night snacks).
But BREAKFAST?! Wow. I don't know where to begin, other than to say, the coffee? Fantabulous, hot and plentiful.
The baked goods? Craaaazy delicious.
The eggs? Delish!
Whole grain & Oat Pancakes with real upstate NY maple syrup? Shut the front door!!
An assortment of seasonal fruits. And an organic smoothie to get your DNA going!
Whatever she served, we consumed. Happily, I might add.
It was all gastronomically devine.
I mean that.
We were only at Santosha for two nights but we decompressed to the point we felt we'd been away for a week.
To cap off the zen experience at Santosha, Leslie leaves each guest with a warm hug, a stone with a meaningful message you get to take away with you as a keepsake and a ritual wherein you burn away any challenges or stress (don't ask... it's a nice touch, believe me).
We will definitely be back and recommend Santosha for Fall Foliage trips (I'm pretty sure she's booked up the next couple months, however).
Santosha is close enough to home - yet far enough away to really give you a vacation not far from your own front steps.
Namaste.
And tell them FAMILY GUY FROM NJ sent you!

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice. We loved Sunrise.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FamilyGuy_from_NJ
Sant0sha, Owner at Santosha on the Ridge Bed and Breakfast Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2016

WOW!!!...Sometimes at this busy busy time of year, I forget how nice it is here because we am doing so much to make it so...thank you for reminding me/us and appreciating what we do. For us that is what it is about...you being here and finding that "santosha"...enough so.. you can take it home with you.. until your next visit. Thank you

Reviewed 27 August 2016

We stayed in the Naturescape room and thoroughly loved it. This room has a private balcony and is set away from the other rooms so we never heard the other guests. The views from both our balcony and the communal back deck were spectacular. Whether lying in the hammock looking up at the trees, swaying on the porch swing, or lounging in one of the comfortable chairs watching the hummingbirds feed, you'll find a way to relax. There's also a jacuzzi for relaxing after hiking or canoeing. The host maintains several binders with both descriptions of and directions to all sorts of local dining and activity opportunities, making daily choices easy. The breakfasts are delightful, light but plentiful, and generally with a gourmet touch like puff pastry quiches, mini tarts, and fanciful smoothies. There are warm from the oven cookies baked fresh each afternoon. Best of all is the companionable little dog, Lucy, who graciously accepts all pats offered. Santosha made for a very comfortable retreat after exploring the beautiful surrounding area. We will almost certainly be returning.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ParachuteGirl
Reviewed 3 August 2016

This was our first ever B&B experience and it has ruined us for life! The room was fantastic and the breakfast and hospitality were even better. The views from the deck must be seen to truly experience the beauty of where this B&B is located. I could not recommend a place higher!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2016

My husband and I stayed with Leslie and Gene at Santosha On The Ridge last month. We were celebrating my husband's birthday and how happy were we to have stayed with such wonderful and welcoming people.

From the moment you drive down to the property you know you have entered a place of tranquility. You are surrounded by manicured gardens and lush trees. Birds can be heard calling from the tree-tops above, and chipmunks scurry about in this magical land that is their kingdom.

The home is beautifully maintained with big open rooms which lead to an outside area that over-looks the Delaware Valley River Gap, which leaves you to feel as if you (like the birds) are safely cocooned in the treetops of this dense forest.

Our bedroom was open, airy and filled with so many comforts (blankets, books and Music). There is no T.V. if that's your thing BUT I actually loved that missing detail. Lying in bed you are able to connect with the sounds you are surrounded by, and it also gives you the chance to truly connect with nature and the company you are with.

Leslie and Gene were so warm, so kind and provided so much information about the area. With Gene's help we found a fantastic steak house to celebrate my husband's birthday and Leslie advised us some great hiking trails which we really enjoyed! We truly felt like we were staying with friends we had known forever, and that in itself, made my stay; Lucy (the resident pups) was also quite the hostess and I absolutely fell in love with her!!!

Each morning we were provided a hearty breakfast that was absolutely delicious and there was hot tea available every evening, which was great to come home too. The soaking tub in our room was GLORIOUS! My husband couldn't get over how roomy it was :) And when we said our goodbyes I couldn't help but feel a little sad to go. We hope to come back next year to visit! (There is a tradition at the end of your stay that I won't say much EXCEPT that it's pretty cool!!!)

If you are looking for relaxation and good company I sincerely recommend this property! You will NOT be disappointed I assure you!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2016

My wife and I spent 2 nights there recent;y. Truly relaxing place and Leslie & Gene are THE best hosts. Oriented us to the area and had wonderful suggestions for things to do based on our desires. Plus, the breakfasts- FANTASTIC!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Sant0sha, Owner at Santosha on the Ridge Bed and Breakfast Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2016

Thanks for your comments. It was really nice meeting you both and having our health discussions. All the best to you in the coming year. Hope to see you again if you are visiting your daughter.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
26.1 km away
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to Santosha on the Ridge Bed and Breakfast Sanctuary? Share your experiences!