“Great local spot”

Red Iron American Pub
Ranked #3 of 48 Restaurants in Springfield
Reviewed 4 July 2017

Went for an early dinner. I got the Caesar salad and the brisket flatbread. Salad was dressed perfectly, not too heavy. Huge portion! Flatbread was delicious, and I had to bring half home. They give you house made seasoned chips to munch on while you wait and that curbed my appetite! Hub had the Wedge salad with crab cakes. Very good also.

Reviewed 1 July 2017

My husband and I were going to a comedy show upstairs at this venue, so we decided to check out the restaurant beforehand. They were not very busy when we arrived. We were seated at a two person table near the door. The table had so many menus and advertisements on it that we had to combine them and stick them behind the salt and pepper to get any room.
Our waitress was not very friendly. We ordered some of their new house beers and they arrived fairly quickly.
We ordered the appetizer sampler. All of the items were very good, but there was also a mound of their awful fries to fill out the plate
I ordered a Chicken BLT sandwich, and my husband ordered the Jumbo Lump Crab Cake sandwich. I asked for no bun. So, of course it came on the bun. There were so many fries on the plate, I had nowhere to put the bun. I flagged down the waitress, who said, "Oh, sorry, I forgot", and brought me a plate to put the bun on. More stuff on our tiny table.
The chicken in my sandwich was so tough, I could not cut it with a serrated butter knife. I didn't eat much of it. My husband was less than thrilled with his selection as well.
Now onto the fries. The fries are tapered at the ends and totally overcooked. Not appetizing in any way. They are dark brown and the inside is hard instead of fluffy as a fry should be .And not nicely crunchy, but hard. Those are two different things.
So after this less-than-satisfying dinner, my husband orders one more beer. It took about twenty minutes to arrive, and was delivered by the hostess instead of our waitress. During that time, a fire started at a table nearby us. My husband swears that the guy lit one of the menus on fire to get the waitress to come over. I wouldn't doubt it.
Also during our wait time, the DJ came in and started setting up directly behind us.It was a bit annoying.
I saw a lot of good reviews for this place on this site, so I am wondering if Red Iron is under new management. They have a lot to work on.
It would be nice if they continued the comedy nights, although our waitress was not even aware that there was a show later. Also, we were put at a table right near the bar, and the bartenders were speaking in their normal voices during the comedians' sets. Whisper please!!

Reviewed 27 May 2017

I think my biggest complaint with this restaurant was that for the price point, everything was just average.

Food - I would give the food a C. We had the prime rib eggrolls that came out with so much potential. They were served very nicely with some fried onions and what tasted like a horseradish sauce. Technically, this app was 2 eggrolls cut down the middle to look like four. An open faced egg roll. The taste was good, the texture was a little chewier than I was expecting and the temperature was lukewarm. These were $12. Next up were salads at $8 a piece. I had the baby green and my husband had Caesar. Both were good, but they were not $8 salads. For our entrees, I had the pork chops with mashed potatoes and green beans with caramel apple demi glace. The pork chops were fatty. I only ate one of the two I was given. The potatoes were great, but unfortunately were overpowered by the demi glace. It had a nice flavor but it was served with far too much of it. My food was drowning in it. This was $17. My husband had a chicken parm grinder with fries for $12. While this price was more reasonable, the size of the sandwich did not reflect that. It was much smaller than expected since you can get a chicken parm grinder at any pizza or hoagie shop for less than $10. Lastly, we had the chocolate stout cake for dessert. Meh. I've made better at home.

Service - I would rate the service a C. Our waitress brought us our food and she wasn't out right rude, but she wasn't what I would call friendly and not quite on top of drinks. If I have to ask, when you're walking away, it's too late. If I eat half my meal before you bring it back, it's way too late.

Ambiance - I would give the overall feel of the place a B-. It was nice and new, but just all in one small (ish) room which I didn't think gave it a nice feel.

Value - Value gets an F from me, and really the biggest reason I would probably not go back. This didn't do much more for me than say, Applebees, but our price came to over $80 after tip for 2 people. We did purchase a groupon so we only paid $55 after tip, but again, I'm not even sure if it was worth that. When I use groupon, I expect to get a deal, not pay around what it's actually worth. The groupon does automatically charge 20% gratuity, which I was aware of before going, and I usually tip that or more anyway, so not much of an issue, but this is NOT something that is directly stated on groupon. I had to read through reviews of other people that were unaware and angry about it to find out.

Overall, I would not return. I was disappointed that we skipped out on our usual Friday night spot to try this out.

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

We were a little Hesitant to try this restaurant but so glad that we did. We started with the short rib truffle fries as an appetizer. Omg amazing! I could have licked the Cabernet gravy off of the plate it was that good ( I wouldn't though haha).
We had the meatloaf and the southern fried chicken. We were pleased with both meals. My boyfriend was a little disappointed that the only steak on the menu was a filet. He prefers to get steak (ribeye,porter house) when we go out but not a fan of filet. Other than that it was great! I would definitely go back again.

Reviewed 8 December 2016

We have passed the Red Iron Pub many times and decided tonight to give it a go. Several friends have gone there and were quite pleased with their dinners. The french onion soup was really good. Meatloaf dinner with mashed potatoes and fresh green beans definitely a winner. Eggplant parm was fresh eggplant and nicely breaded. Complimentary chips with an onion dip before ordering was awesome. Will definitely return for breakfast and recommend to others for breakfast, lunch or dinner.