“Very Clean, Very Good, & Very Deliscious!”

Chen Vegetarian House
Ranked #12 of 37 Restaurants in West Reading
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I just recently started eating more vegan and trying to eat "clean". We came here as we were craving General Tso's Chicken but didn't want to eat meat but wanted the flavor. This place knocked the taste out of the park. The tofu "chicken" was delicious and actually better than real chicken. The presentation was beautiful. We also had the Carrot, Beet , & Apple juice from the juice bar. It was very fresh tasting. Our favorite of the meal though was no. A13. Steamed dumplings filled with pickled veggies, mushrooms and carrots. The were delicate looking and was accompanied by a fantastic dipping sauce. We have put Chen's phone number on speed dial. Love the place and loved the staff. Well done!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Had the mango chicken and never missed the meat. Great place to walk on the veggie wild side. The portions were all good enough for two meals

1  Thank RevDrRobert
Reviewed 11 January 2017 via mobile

It's always hard to find a good restaurant when you are vegetarian or vegan. I recently stayed at the Marriott and went for a walk on Penn ave to see what I could find. One of the first places I went into was Chen Veg. What a great decision! Every meal was super tasty and totally healthy! It's also easy on your wallet. Please see their menu and stop in. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank lbkeefe
Reviewed 5 January 2017

Chen is tiny, cheerful, BYOB, inexpensive, and the only vegan restaurant in all of Berks County, loved by vegans and omnivores alike. Don't worry -- no MSG either.

Known mainly for takeout, Chen also has about five tables. It is fun to sit in the window and take in the local scene. Vegan desserts are available at the chocolate shop next door. Chen also has frozen vegan ice cream.

I most highly recommend their noodles and rices, which are quite cheap. You can choose pork, chicken, and such, but it is all the vegan version (soy or seitan) -- quite tasty and no cholesterol. We almost always get steamed dumplings and love the pineapple fried rice, pad kee mai, mei fun, and pad thai. Brown rice is available for $1 extra and well worth it.

I am not as big a fan of their curries or big platters. I have been nuts for their wonton soup lately. Their lunch specials are cheap cheap cheap and include rice, main dish, and soup or egg roll. We keep hoping Chen will expand into a bigger dining room. Chen has super friendly owners who are very hard working and who remember your preferences. Please don't ever leave us!

1  Thank Cogentiva
Reviewed 5 December 2016

I go here at least once a month and always request my husband bring me their wonton soup when I am feeling sick. Wonderful food and fantastic owners who really care about their customers! Their juices are always so fresh and the food made to order. I also love that when I get takeout all the containers are appropriate and make it easy for me to get the food home safely and mess-free!

1  Thank bethk649