“Enjoyed our 9 day stay”

Hickory Run State Park
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in White Haven
Reviewed 24 July 2017

This is my third visit to the area and second time staying in the Hickory Run State Park CG. We were in an electric site. Sites are good sized, with ample space between sites, but not overly private. Camp Store is excellent. During the week the place was very quiet and peaceful. But on the weekends- Oh My! A victim of their own popularity. Very crowded. But really no worse than some other campgrounds I have visited. The one drawback is the bath houses. There simply aren't enough of them to accommodate all of the people on the weekends. Even with twice daily cleaning on Saturday and Sunday, they were a mess due to sheer volume of use. A bath house for each loop (instead of one per two loops) would be a welcome addition.

The staff was friendly and took the camp rules seriously. I saw regular patrols. On Friday night of one weekend a Very large group came and set up across multiple sites. Children screaming until 11:30, very loud music (my son said he felt like he was in a RAVE) and multiple noise complaints to the CG folks. The next morning 3 rangers showed up. I witnessed them addressing the concerns, writing citations, and later in the day all of the people had left. I assume they were evicted but don't know for certain. Nonetheless- the complaints were promptly addressed by the park employees.

All in all, I would return. Perhaps in more of an off season. But the campground is nice, the park is beautiful, and there is a lot to do.

1  Thank Chris F

Reviewed 23 July 2017

We just came back from the campground, having booked 2 nights for a quiet and relaxing weekend. We spent one night there and decided to come home after a night and morning of hell. What was wrong about it?
First: the sites are very very small. We barely had room for the 2 tents, I was uncomfortable having them so close to the fire. Not even mentioning fitting our chairs around the camp fire. The size of the table was good however but far too large for the size of the site. There wasn't any room for anything else.
Second: They only allow one car on the site, but still the regular 6 people and 2 tents of most campgrounds. At first I thought it was because the sites are so small, but they actually make you pay for a $5 a day pass if you want to park a second car on the site. What a scam!
Third: Where are the rangers???? We had booked the pet friendly site to bring our small dog with us. We have camped on dog friendly campgrounds before but never experienced something like this. We arrived to our campsite Friday evening to a concert of dogs barking and loud music from one family close to us. Let me tell you that was anything but relaxing! We soon realized that it all came from just one family behind us. They had 4 dogs on their site (could have been a combination of several sites) all barking at or with each other. Of course every time these dogs barked, dogs from the other sites joined in, making the campground atmosphere horrible. It didn't seem to bother that one family though, and it went on until late Friday. Not at any time were the rangers in sight, we personally never saw any in the one day we stayed.
At 7am the following day, it all started again; not only the dogs barking, encouraged by the children but also the music blasting from the car speakers, AT 7AM IN THE MORNING!!!
Fourth: Bathrooms - be ready for the line. The campground is so crowded that you have to wait in a line just go to the bathroom. I am not even talking about the showers! Also with this amount of people the bathrooms were getting dirty (hum disgusting) very quickly, and sharing a sink with 10 women was not enjoyable at all to say the least.
Overall a very bad experience. That's my second time of the campground (the first time was on a RV site) and that will definitely be the last.

3  Thank synepatant
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Beautiful State park with lots to see. Tons of hiking trails and things to do. I hope to get to camp there one day.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

My kids loved the beach. Nice swimming area. Not too crowded. The roads in the park are awful!!!! Huge pot holes. Glad we had a truck

Reviewed 19 July 2017

I have stayed at Hickory Run a few times. Very nice campground with good sized campsites and plenty of room between sights. Some good hiking close by, lake to swim in, and decent bathroom facilities. Will be going again next year.

1  Thank 117Bob