“Good Economy Stay for the Newport Area”

Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed 14 May 2017

Newport, Rhode Island offers a number of great attractions in a small town arena, from museums to historic mansions to the gorgeous scenery along its famous Cliff Walk. But if you want to stay in Newport proper, you are going to pay for it. This Travelodge located in neighboring Middletown gives you easy access to all the tourist attractions of Newport at considerably less cost.

To start with, you can be in downtown Newport within 15 minutes by simply making a left out of the hotel parking lot and one more left turn a few lights down. Now, making that initial left can be a problem due to the heavy traffic on West Main Rd, but no worries--just make a right turn instead and make a u-turn via the shopping center a few hundred yards up the road, with a handy traffic light to help you. While the hotel does not offer a restaurant itself, there are several options from fast food to classier dining within a short drive (none really within walking distance), or choose from dozens of local eateries which offer delivery service...or, simply grab your meals in Newport proper.

The outer appearance of the hotel is not particularly impressive. While a lengthy access road moving off the main road eliminates the issue of traffic noise and there is adequate free parking available, during peak season it might be an issue to park near your room. There is a small pool located on the property, but it was not open when I stayed and looked far from impressive anyway. The property does not look run down, per say, but it is not exactly postcard-ready either and it does show its age.

The young man on duty at the reception desk was outstanding, and I'm sorry to say that I do not recall his name as a commendation is due. After quickly wrapping up the check-in of a couple ahead of me, he immediately launched into getting me into my reserved room with prompt, professional courtesy and answered all of my questions before I even got to ask them (room location, WiFi settings, etc). If the hotel management does read this, he would have been on duty at 3pm on May 11th, and so please pass on my thanks to him.

My room was in the "motel" portion of the building, but there is a small "hotel" style setup inside the area with the reception desk. There was a short walk from my parking space to my door along a paved sidewalk which skirted past the lawn, and which also contained a large ashtray for smokers (all of the rooms are smoke free) and a big, covered trash can which was handy for emptying the car of all the trash which piles up during a lengthy drive. The room itself was not large, but still provided ample space for a single traveler or couple (with a single king bed). Amenities provided in the room included a large flat-screen tv with well over a hundred cable channels, spacious modern desk & workstation with built-in power outlets, coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave oven, and digital alarm clock. The room was immaculately kept and the bed smartly made, with fresh sheets and blankets. A heater/air conditioning unit with individual settings was also present, and worked marvelously. The included WiFi connection was flawless and quite quick.

One drawback is that the rooms sit flush with the parking area and it can be a struggle to get the curtains completely closed, so those seeking more in the way of privacy should request a room either in the hotel section or on the second floor. The gap between the curtains was well under an inch, but some might be bothered even by that. A free breakfast is provided with the stay, but isn't available until 7am. I was thus unable to sample it as my day started before then.

Overall, a clean and well-kept option for far less than you'd pay just a few miles down the road, and well worthy of the cost.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms offer greater privacy but at the cost of a longer trek with luggage.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Middletown Newport Area

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Front desk check in and check out, no problem. Rooms always clean. Can tell they remodeled their rooms. All around nice visit.

Reviewed 25 April 2017

Reviewed 22 April 2017

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

We booked with trip advisor and upon check in the front desk said "you booked two rooms" and we told him we only booked one. I showed him screenshots I took while booking which proved we only booked 1 room as well as our email confirmation from trip advisor that clearly stated "1 room for 2 adults". I even let them go through my phone to prove I didn't have any other emails. The man was argumentative and kept telling us we have to pay for two rooms, which we obviously refused. It was only my fiancé and I staying and we obviously only needed a room and proved it every way possible. I kept refusing until he finally told us we were lucky it wasn't busy or he would charge the credit card for 2 rooms. Granted the room was cheap but it's just the point that I clearly did not book 2 rooms.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
5.3 km away
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
2.0 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown

Been to Travelodge Middletown Newport Area? Share your experiences!