“Farewell, and Thanks”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Boon Street
Transit: Bus stop is in front of Restaurant.
Reviewed 22 October 2014

I just heard (the 22nd of October) about Basil's upcoming closing, and unfortunately, my wife and I are booked past the weekend, so we won't be able to say goodbye and good luck. We want to thank Vasilios, Kathy, and Brett the best of luck, and hope they might consider another restaurant some day (although they have earned a well-deserved rest).

I grew up in San Francisco, where there are many wonderful neighborhood restaurants, and
Basil's shared one quality they all had--consistency. If you have a favorite dish, and you can't come back for a couple of years, you want it to be EXACTLY as you remembered it. Basil's staples were that way-excellent, and unvarying. I frankly don't know how Vasilios did it, in that tiny kitchen, day in, day out, year in year out. Basil's was the place for special occasions, and the memories they engendered.

So, kali tihi, and enjoy the days off.
Frank and Marjorie

Reviewed 22 September 2014

I would give it zero stars if the system allowed me to do so. I made a reservation for 9/16/14 via Open Table for dinner on our 25th wedding anniversary. I phoned them the day of the reservation to confirm the time, and was informed by an argumentative man with a French accent that "you cancelled your reservation". I told him I had not cancelled the reservation, but he was indignant, unapologetic and uncooperative. After about 5 minutes of banter, he said "but we can still accommodate you this evening". If that was the case, why did he argue with me about the reservation being canceled? I told him "no thank you, we will dine elsewhere". We went to Spain instead, which was closer to where we were staying, and had a wonderful meal, without any pretentious attitude. Our servers were so attentive, they overheard us toasting to our anniversary and brought us a complimentary dessert. With so many fine restaurants in Narragansett, why bother with Basil's? It is located in crummy looking strip mall, and with such atrocious customer service, I advise you to give your business to the many other fine establishments.

Reviewed 21 September 2014

We like the place. Snails (escargots) are excellent, and duck orange is probably the best in the area.
Unfortunately, there was a limit of one duck per table, so next time we will reserve it ahead.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Basil's restaurant has been our favorite restaurant in Narragansett for years.
The food quality and service are outstanding.
The atmosphere is intimate and quiet - very enjoyable.
The style is continental - with excellent selections for dinner.
Look for the specials - particularly local fish.
It's not large and can get busy during the summer and on weekends - so reservations are recommended.

1  Thank riny
Reviewed 16 August 2014

What a wonderful surprise to find a tiny, elegant French restaurant tucked away in this crazy beach town! The food, wine and service were sublime and all done with an old world elegance. My husband had the soft shell crab appetizer which he loved. I had the escargot which were tender and not drowning in garlic butter. I had their house special veal dish and it was excellent. My husband had the duck, which he loved. Even the house salads were great. If your looking for charm, graciousness and fine cuisine, do not miss Basil's. Reservations are a must.

1  Thank MMG8401