US$399
US$373
  • Restaurant
US$429
  • Breakfast included
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$325
Relais & Châteaux
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$378/night.

US$489
US$270
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$325/night.

US$395
Hotels.com
All reviewswine and cheesequeen streethot tubgreat locationparking garage across the streethusk restauranthistoric districtbreakfast in bedevening receptionbreakfast deliveredbeautiful courtyardwithin walking distanceeach morningwalking tourdowntown charlestoncrackerssouthern hospitality
Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

The Elliott House Inn was the finish to my trip in Charleston, we spent the first half out in the Historic Plantation District. Let me begin by stating Samantha with guest services was such a wonderful spirit and gave the best “phone” while inquiring to book our room. She was very helpful and made me feel invited with the upmost southern hospitality for my birthday trip. The room itself was reasonably priced for the city as long as you have realistic expectations.
Charleston is a busy little city which means 1) Some city noise is to be expected 2) Parking is scarce and will cost extra 3) As an Inn expect some social experiences with other guests. The location of the Inn could not be better. Tucked away on Queen street... next door neighbors to some fantastic restaurants, far enough away from the smelly/touristy Market Street and right around the corner from all the splendid shopping along King St.
That being said: the room we had was on the first floor and tucked away in the back corner (#20) and we had no issues whatsoever with noise during the night. The staff here are beyond helpful. Neil with guest services was very welcoming even during a very busy check in, also provided us with beach towels and helpful advise on where to go with the type of experience we were seeking. I wish we would’ve done a walking tour with him. The AC was out during our first night and did not seem to blow any cold air. We called to report the issue and literally had a new AC installed in less than half an hour. Can I give a huge thumbs up/high five for such a swift and quick solution to what could’ve been a very big problem?
The Inn does provide an ongoing service of cold water and lemonade in the courtyard as well as a simple but delightful breakfast in the morning. Wine & Cheese happy hour was basic but allowed some social interaction with other guests if that’s what you’re into. Overall the bathrooms were clean, the bed was nice, the decor was charming and our stay was satisfactory.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AABlank
GMofEHI, General Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Wow! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are lucky to have such great team members that do what they can to make sure our guests have a wonderful stay. We appreciate you mentioning both Neal and Samantha, they work extremely hard to provide a truly exceptional guest experience. I'm sorry that air condition was not working properly when you first arrived, but glad that Gene, our maintenance man, was able to resolve issue quickly. We look forward to welcoming you back to Charleston, the next time you are in town!

Reviewed 8 June 2018

The rooms were relatively small but nice. Trouble was that there was a rock band playing behind the hotel until 11 PM that kept us awake until then. Of course the hotel can't control that but if I had known about the band I would not have stayed there.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2018

I'm sorry that you did not fully enjoy your time with us. The city noise ordinance begins at 11:00 PM. This is something that is policed by the City of Charleston. Unfortunately, we are not kept abreast of events held in the courtyard of the Art Museum, that hosted the wedding reception our guest references. We are fortunate that the city is very proactive in enforcing this code and will never last longer than 11pm. What I need future potential guests to understand is that we are located in the heart of downtown. You will hear noise from nearby businesses and residual street traffic. It's an unfortunate reality, given our fantastic location. I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations, I really am. For future guests, if you book a hotel room in the middle of busy season, in a busy city, there will be noise. While I wish we could control this, but it's just the reality of being in a bustling city. I hope that this guest will give us another try. We'd really like to have you back again.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

The staff helped make our stay a wonderful experience. Samantha is warm and welcoming and immediately attended to any requests we or other guests had. Neil is also a treasure and was our guide for a walking tour. We appreciated the fact he not only teaches history but has a connection to Charleston that goes back many generations.

Our room was spacious, clean and modern. The courtyard was a little oasis in the afternoon--the complimentary wine and cheese after a long day of walking and exploring was a great touch. Would absolutely recommend booking a stay at the Elliot House Inn.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica D
GMofEHI, General Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Wow! I’m so impressed that you enjoyed your stay so much! We are so grateful to have staff members like Samantha and Neal that can contribute so much to our guest experience. Neal does tours two days a week for a local bus tour company, Pineapple Tour Group, and for the Inn when requested by guests. Neal’s family has lived in South Carolina for nearly three-hundred years, so he is filled with a lot of stories. The wine and cheese reception is a great way to enjoy our majestic courtyard. We look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in Charleston!

Reviewed 29 May 2018

Door hardware seemed to be interior residential grade, for rooms that open to the exterior. Did not feel secure at all. Room had an odd scent and the air conditioner was very loud, blows straight onto the bed, but was necessary to run due to the heat.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

I’m sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Furthermore, we would never want any guest to stay at our Inn, if you did not feel safe. Safety for our guests is the number one priority! This particular guest stayed with us for two-nights. If you do not feel safe at our location let us help you find an alternative place to stay, where they would feel comfortable. We are located right across the street from the County/Federal Parking Deck, which has around one-hundred cameras and 24 hours security. The building was built in the 1860s, so if you are sensitive to smells and have allergies, this may not be a location for you. Since the building was built in the 1860s, there is no central air-condition. All the rooms have individual wall-units, and they are going to be louder than the central air-condition that we have all grown accustom to in our homes. I am thrilled to see that you thought the service, location and cleanliness were all five-stars.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

Prior to booking, I read some reviews about the Elliot House that mentioned that some of the rooms can be quite noisy. The hotel looked charming, was in a great location, and reasonably priced compared to many of the alternatives, so I decided to test my luck. My husband and I were put in a room on the third floor that faces the street, which has to be one of the noisier rooms they have. Another review mentioned being awoken by a garbage truck each morning, which we had the pleasure of hearing right around 7:30am on each of the three mornings we were there. However, on two occasions we were also awoken around 5:30 when some other truck came banging through. When I mentioned this to the woman who was working the front desk when we checked out, she confirmed that municipal services begin at 5am. However, the worst incident occurred on Thursday night when what sounded like road work right below our window started promptly at midnight. Not being able to fall asleep, I went down to the lobby to see about changing rooms around 12:30. The man at the front desk told me that the grease traps at the restaurant next door were being cleaned. He said that the work could last until 2 or 2:30am. He looked to see if there were any other rooms that we could move to, but there weren't. He then told me that the noise was the reason why my room was less expensive -- something I wish had been pointed out to me when I booked, because I would have stayed elsewhere! (There was no note on my confirmation email that indicated this room would be noisier, by the way.) As I mentioned previously, the Elliot House was better priced that many of the alternatives, but it wasn't exactly cheap. I paid $866 including tax to stay on three weeknights. For that amount, I expect to be able to sleep! The man at the front desk was also extremely rude, telling me he didn't know what I wanted him to do as I was standing in the lobby in my pajamas trying to figure out what I was going to do. I wasn't in a rush to get back to my room knowing that I wouldn't be able to sleep! Fortunately, the work stopped promptly at 1am, not 2 or 2:30am as suggested by the man at the front desk, and I was able to fall asleep.

In sum, if you're the kind of person who likes to catch up on your sleep while on vacation, the Elliot House may not be for you. If you're tempted to try it anyway, I would definitely call first to see what room you'll be in. I wish I had! I really don't think they should rent the room we stayed in to anyone. In my mind, a hotel is a place where you sleep and we didn't get much rest at all in that room!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emilyfrommadison
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I’m sorry that you did not enjoy yourself while you were staying with us. For future guests, if you are not happy with the accommodations we will not charge for the time that you did not stay with us. Now, this particular guest booked through our website, and it is mentioned on the website that the Traditional rooms are located right next to the street. We do not want you to be surprised before you arrive and that is why this information is listed on our website, third-party sites and on review sites.

We are in the middle of a busy city that gets over five-million visitors a year. We are centrally located in the heart of Charleston’s Historic District, which means there will be typical city noise. Garbage trucks and recycling trucks come through the city on a regular basis. The garbage trucks come every morning between 6:30-8:00 AM. The recycling trucks come at least two days a week. For the restaurants to clean their grease traps, they have to get a permit from the city. The restaurants do not have to tell us when they are going to be having work done, so this is something that we cannot control, but understand and empathize that it impacts your sleep.

April, May and October are the absolute busiest months in Charleston, so the prices of all downtown locations are going to be more expensive than they are during some of the slower times of the year. As the reviewer mentioned, we are competitively and lower priced then many of the hotels in the historic district. We have the Traditional King rooms priced about twenty to thirty-dollars less per night than the Courtyard King rooms. We have the Traditional Queen rooms priced twenty-thirty dollars less per night than the Courtyard Queen rooms. We do have guests that have been staying for a number of years that request the Traditional rooms because they enjoy the noises of the city. The Courtyard rooms are located towards the center and the back of the property, and are typically a little quieter. However, remember, you are in the middle of a city.

I’m glad that you thought the room was clean. Our housekeeping staff does a wonderful job. At the end of the day we are not going to be a perfect fit for everyone, but we do our best to ensure that provide enough information about the property to set expectations. If you have any questions about the room ahead of time or during your stay, please call or talk to the staff. If you are not happy, and we are not meeting your expectations, it does not hurt our feelings if you ask to find an alternative location. Charleston is an expensive and beautiful city, and we want to make sure that we can find you a location where you can enjoy what Charleston has to offer. If you choose to stay with us again, please call directly, so we can find a room that would meet your expectations.