“Fall in love with everything here!!!”
Review of Stella's

Stella's
Ranked #69 of 938 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$8 - US$22
Description: Stella's is proud to serve rustic, modern Greek cuisine.
Description: Stella's is proud to serve rustic, modern Greek cuisine.
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

What a breath of fresh Mediterranean air among what can be the same same Charleston stale air sometimes. This space is intimate and so well thought out. It's inviting, so warm, and at the same time cool and refreshing. There was an old black and white movie playing projected onto the old brick wall... it was ambiance that every business seeking clients should take note of.

The food is absolutely divine!!! It's where a vegetarian and meat lover have a hot steamy love affair!! I started out with the Saganaki - AH-MA-ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is freshly baked bread that's incredible. I indulged in the Cypriot Salad with chicken and I loved every bit of it.

The service was first class all the way. The owner introduced herself and was wonderful. She was kind and explained some really cool things about the menu and Stella's itself. I don't read aura's but I'm pretty sure hers is pure love!! Every person from our awesome server to the gentleman that brought out the bread, took great care and pride of this magical little spot.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

This place was so good I can not wait to go back!! Loved the counter dining--very nice ambience. Food was out of this world tasty, with nice Greek beer and wine options. Cocktails looked great too but did not try this time. We tried a few different apps. Definitely recommend the lemon soup and the roasted potatoes. The hummus was great and the phyllo wrapped feta was so good!! Omg!

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Stella's is a great place for dinner. The seating is comfortable, the decor is sophisticated yet casual and the service was great, and the food was fairly special.

While it had very good flavor, the wife's steak was slightly over cooked. Chard perfectly on the outside, the steak was served a touch over medium, and not medium rare as ordered. Just a min or so less time on the grill and the dish could have been perfect. This slight issue was the difference between an overall 4 and 5-star rating

The wife ordered and loved the Shiitake crab bisque, which was the soup of the day. We never tasted a soup so infused with the flavor of mushrooms, without overpowering the other flavors, which in this case was the sweetness from the crab.

The Grilled Octopus appetizer I ordered was impossibly tender. The meat almost melted in your mouth like Filet Mignon, with the flavor and texture of Octopus. Even if you don't like Octopus, you will love this dish.

My main course was the Braised Lamb Shank over a bed of noodles with Brown butter shank sauce. The lamb meat just fell of the bone and the noodles was a perfect way to enjoy Brown butter sauce. Just a word of advice, plan a walk after dinner to help digest this heavy dish

Phil B. provided great service. His menu advice was spot on, and the enough attention provided was just enough to not make us feel rushed.

We are both looking forward to taking the daughter here when she comes to visit.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

I can't say much about the food because I never got that close. I called to ask about seating for 2 and was told it would be no problem since they could accommodate us at the counter or patio seating.
On arrival I was informed the wait would be 20-30 minutes, but no more than that, which was acceptable. They suggested I go "next door" to wait, inferring that we have drinks at another restaurant on the street. This is Pane e Vino which is a very enjoyable Italian restaurant.
We gave the cell number to contact and left. After 45 minutes we returned to inquire since there had not been any contact. I was informed they had texted me. I showed them my phone and it was not listed. I was offered to be "first in line" and it would be another 15 minutes. I was not pleased.
We left and proceeded to enjoy dinner elsewhere.
There are many options here and poor service is the one thing that will always make me remove a location from consideration.
The food may be good, but I find it unlikely that I will return to find out.
They use RESY for reservations, and I find that app to be sub-par and less friendly, and not useful for making plans in general.

1  Thank wgainey
Steven N, Owner at Stella's, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

I am sorry we were not able to accommodate you this evening... Exactly 50% of our restaurant is unreserved so managing the wait list is an important part of our job every night... As we are a small place with no bar or waiting area, we often suggest guests visit King Street or the surrounding neighborhood to pass the time...The Resy App, which has been adopted by many of the independent restaurants in town, has been a valuable partner and we look forward to continuing to improve its service and reliability for our guests. We do our very best to manage the technology around reservations and seating but unfortunately mistakes do happen. As a locally owned small business in only our 6th month of operation, we greatly appreciate the patience and understanding of our guests as we learn and grow together.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

My wife and I stopped in for some appetizers for lunch so we could try a variety of foods. We had the tria, the octopus and the kreatopita. Everything was delicious except I was a bit disappointed in the taramasalata which didn't have much caviar flavor. We added galaktoboureko for dessert, very good. The ambiance was neat, the seating comfortable.