“Beautiful Music”

Sound of Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the sounds that define Charleston's musical history...from gospel to Gershwin. Each weekly live concert features music of the Civil War; light classics of the venerable St. Cecelia Society; the music of George Gershwin, who wrote "Porgy & Bess" during a summer in Charleston; gospel spirituals sung by slaves as they passed through the port of Charleston; and "Amazing Grace", the words of which were inspired in the composer, John Newton, while he worshipped in our host venue, Circular Congregational Church. Frommers Travel Guide says, "the best night out in Charleston...a must see performance. Visit our website or call the box office for concert dates and ticket information.
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

We saw them at the Circular Church and it was beautiful music that tells a story of the history of Charleston (an even America's history). The Gershwin piano duet was amazing. I also loved the slavery songs sung. The only thing was that trip advisor told us the concert was free and when we got there we found out there was a fee. However, it was worth paying to see the concert.

All reviews
in 91 reviews
"rhapsody"
in 30 reviews

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

to Charleston's musical heritage.
The regret is that there is only 75 minutes which is not a lot of song/tune time especially when a noticeable portion is taken up with the various narrations and introductions. Don't get me wrong, putting the pieces into historical context is really worthwhile and very well done but it is a shame the whole session isn't a couple of hours or so in total.
I guess fro last night's notes and programme that what you get in some sections eg the St Cecilia section, vary from gig to gig. Of particular note was the Gospel/Spiritual section and Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.
The Circular Church setting is wonderful, but if you have a bony bottom you may want to take a cushion - the pews are hard and unforgiving

Reviewed 28 August 2017

If you are fortunate enough to be in Charleston when there is a performance scheduled for the Sound of Charleston, do not miss this. I went on a whim, and it was one of the best things I did during my visit earlier this month (August 2017) to this charming city. It's a musical delight that features music related to Charleston from the earliest days to George Gershwin. Musicians apparently might be different during different performances, but I have a sense that they are all wonderful. During the performance I attended, I was spellbound by the music, including folksinger Bart Saylor on guitar and dulcimer; amazing singer Ann Caldwell singing spirituals (and involving the audience) like I have never heard before; and a rousing rendition of George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue by two pianists--including Ghadi Shayban--on the same piano.I was so delighted by the musicians that I purchased the CD, The Sound of Charleston. Also delightful is the venue, in the Circular Congregational Church in downtown Charleston. Although I was in Charleston on business, with a free evening, this event would be a delight for most.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

The highlight of our visit. A trip through time with professional musicians as they present music ranging from the St. Cecilia Society to Gershwin. All in the beautiful historic Circular Church. Get there early and stroll through the graveyard datine back to the early 1700s.