“Great linch”

Ranked #41 of 938 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Great food. They have a good variety of unique selections on the menu which includes a large list of sides. We enjoyed our sandwiches and look forward to returning. The atmosphere is very comfortable and we received wonderful service from our server Tiffany. We will be back.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

We had a chance to dine at the Hominy Grill twice in the same month. We had breakfast & dinner. The restaurant is kitchy located in a residential area just off of the King Street. The interior has two areas and cute outdoor dining space out front.

For breakfast we had biscuit & gravy and shrimp & grits. Both were very good though the gravy was a bit too soupy for my personal preference. The portion was not too big. It seemed to me that it was a bit more of a sophisticated take on the southern food - a bit lighter (if there is such thing as light southern food) than you would expect.

For dinner we had a picnic platter (eggs, prosciutto, pickled okra & pimento cheese) , Pine Bark stew and fish special (pan friedTrigger fish). Picnic platter was delightful though we could have used more bread. Pine Bark Stew (a bit like a chioppino a la Charleston) was super delicious. My husband really enjoyed his Trigger fish with 2 choices of sides.

We sat outside - it was soon after the Hurricane Irma so it was very quiet. We have passed by the restaurant earlier in the summer during the evening and the outdoor space rocks.

Service is very friendly if not super efficient or professional. I don't have any complaints.

It's a cute and fun place to visit for a casual dinner or breakfast with southern charm.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

Best breakfast we had on this trip. You have to order the Charleston Nasty - you will not be disappointed. Shrimp and grits with a twist - pimento - excellent. Wait staff is very helpful and friendly. Southern comfort food.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

My family really enjoyed dinner at the Hominy Grill. Very homely food, cooked perfectly, and very jolly staff. A really fun evening and a treat for the tastebuds.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

My family vacationed in Charleston/Isle of Palms for a week and we made sure to try all the "must-eat" restaurants while we were there. None of them disappointed...except for this one. I tried the shrimp and grits which were supposedly very good, and they were not. Easily the worst shrimp and grits I've ever had, especially compared to all the other great restaurants in Charleston that serve this dish. I now see that quite a few others have the same opinions on this meal based on the reviews below mine. The cornbread was a huge slice, but just plain and dry. I wish I had tried the Charleston Nasty biscuit, but it wasn't even recommended by the staff, and I was afraid it wouldn't fill me up for a meal. The atmosphere was very boring inside, although we did go at a time between lunch and dinner when nobody was eating there. I would highly recommend trying one of the many other different local restaurants in Charleston and avoid this one. Nothing special about it.

1  Thank RahnC