“Used to love it.... But something has changed....”
Review of Rio Grande

Rio Grande
Ranked #421 of 984 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 1 March 2017

I've lived in the area for years and this has always been the go-to for Mexican food - I don't like the chains; I loved it! But over the last few months, there has been a change in the food - the consistency isn't there, the robust taste doesn't seem the same - I can't put my finger on it. The staff is friendly though, always has been. Before you think this was one bad visit and I'm jumping to judgement, no - I wanted to believe it was just a bad day or staffing changes once or twice. But after four times of something just being off - this is no fluke. I wish I could get the food and what they were doing before.

For all of you still wanting Rio, there is another restaurant in Mt. P - it was always nice and inviting with great taste - hopefully they are still just as good without the negative changes.

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

In a nutshell, I find Rio Grande to be the most authentic Mexican restaurant in Charleston. We've always had good food and service and you'll find a few dishes not offered in other Mexican restaurants. My new favorite are the chargrilled tacos, which are as close to the real thing as I've found. Not nearly as good as the iconic Taqueria Corona in New Orleans, but head and shoulders above the pitiful attempt at Taco Boy on Folly Beach.

Reviewed 2 November 2016

Have eaten here several times and not being a Mexican food expert I find that the food is consistent, The service is fast and pleasant, We had a burrito Californian, and a Quesada chicken. Both come with red rice and a guacamole salad. Recommend, Hope this helps,

Reviewed 25 August 2016

Went as family and had a variety of food. All was good and plentiful. Prices very good. The chori pollo was exceptional. My wife needed gluten free so the made her a burrito bowl that was outstanding.

Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

We ordered a burrito with rice and beans off the lunch menu. The food was tasty, but the beans were a bit runny. The chips and salsa provided upon being seated was excellent. The salsa was just spicey enough to be enjoyable. The service was great. The lunch prices are reasonable.