“Not salty, not greasy, just awesome food for the family!”
Review of Jestine's Kitchen

Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

This unassuming diner type restaurant served up an outstanding lunch on the last day of our beach and seafood vacation in Charleston. The fried chicken was the best I had ever tasted! The fried oysters could stand up to anyone of Charleston's top five seafood restaurants that we visited! The portion size was just perfect and there was a variety of sides (collard greens, red rice, fried okras, Mac & cheese) to choose from. If you still have room for dessert, I recommend their pecan pie.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Still a very popular restaurant, but to me the quality is just not there anymore. It had been several years since I ate here, and I was so disappointed this time. Most of my meal of fried shrimp and oysters were left on my plate. Both were too salty, and the oysters were mushy and tasteless. One of my sides, broccoli casserole, was not very good, but the other side, Lima beans was better.

Service was good, and we were lucky not to have a line or long wait. The restaurant is a quaint fun place, but unfortunately the food just doesn't measure up any more. The only reason I give Jestines a 2 rating is because of the great coconut cream pie. Our waitress deducted the cost of the pie from our bill because most of my food was left on my plate. Rest of my family ordered pot roast, meatloaf and fried flounder. None of them enjoyed their meal as well.

I'm very sad that a once treasured restaurant is not a place where I would want to return.

1  Thank OnTheGoSunnyvale_CA
Reviewed 17 September 2017

Jestine's is a pretty casual place, but their food is fabulous. I happened to walk by and decided to stop for lunch and I'm SO glad I did. The service was friendly and efficient. The food was excellent. I tried two dishes I've always been curious about - fried green tomatoes and fried okra. Both were excellent! Plus I got a fried nut-encrusted white fish that was delicate and delicious. The restaurant gets busy, so be aware of your timing. I went at an off time (mid afternoon) and was lucky that there was no line. I can understand why it's so popular!

Reviewed 14 September 2017

After years of saying I was going to eat here I finally got to. No lines today as it is just a few days after a hurricane/storm. Had to wait a minute for someone to acknowledge and seat us. There were people at 2 tables. Our server came out quickly with waters and pickled cucumbers, he was very attentive through out our stay. Appetizer of fried green tomatoes was out quickly, they were good not great. After deciding to get the pecan crusted chicken on a salad I flipped and got a BLFGT, Bacon, lettuce and fried green tomato sandwich. The sandwich was good, filling, the bacon was the best part of the sandwich, thick and more than enough. Very disappointed with the bread, just toasted wheat bread. After hearing the server talk to the next couple who came in I wish I would have ask him more about the menu. If I return I will get the pecan crusted chicken or the meat loaf, it smelled and looked wonderful. Jestine's is a quaint, small establishment. I enjoyed the collections and the art work on the wall on the way to the rest room. The building is old and you can see some of the original brick. All in all I'm glad I went. I would probably go back, next time hungrier, if I didn't have to stand in line.

1  Thank luvgoing
Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

I go to Jestins every time I visit Charleston. Not fancy, but good is soooo good and southern!
Love it. And waitress was so helpful on this last visit, explains all the different food dishes to the new folks that were with me.