“The chicken was finger licking good.”
Review of Jestine's Kitchen

Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were told by friends that the food has good southern food. A bit disappointed that it meant fried chicken. But in all honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect when it comes to southern food.

We ordered corn fritter, a plate of fried chicken, and ice tea to share. Share plate is additional $1.00.

Corn fritter was not too bad. The chicken is moist on the inside and crisp on the outside. Super yummy!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A friend told me to make sure I stopped here ahd he was right on. We're cautious about small cafes but this was a really nice college campus location. The only problem may be finding a parking spot.
The waiter was great and gave us a history of the location plus a lot of local information. Great menu with very reasonable prices.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This unassuming diner type restaurant served up an outstanding lunch on the last day of our beach and seafood vacation in Charleston. The fried chicken was the best I had ever tasted! The fried oysters could stand up to anyone of Charleston's top five seafood restaurants that we visited! The portion size was just perfect and there was a variety of sides (collard greens, red rice, fried okras, Mac & cheese) to choose from. If you still have room for dessert, I recommend their pecan pie.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Still a very popular restaurant, but to me the quality is just not there anymore. It had been several years since I ate here, and I was so disappointed this time. Most of my meal of fried shrimp and oysters were left on my plate. Both were too salty, and the oysters were mushy and tasteless. One of my sides, broccoli casserole, was not very good, but the other side, Lima beans was better.

Service was good, and we were lucky not to have a line or long wait. The restaurant is a quaint fun place, but unfortunately the food just doesn't measure up any more. The only reason I give Jestines a 2 rating is because of the great coconut cream pie. Our waitress deducted the cost of the pie from our bill because most of my food was left on my plate. Rest of my family ordered pot roast, meatloaf and fried flounder. None of them enjoyed their meal as well.

I'm very sad that a once treasured restaurant is not a place where I would want to return.

1  Thank OnTheGoSunnyvale_CA
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Jestine's is a pretty casual place, but their food is fabulous. I happened to walk by and decided to stop for lunch and I'm SO glad I did. The service was friendly and efficient. The food was excellent. I tried two dishes I've always been curious about - fried green tomatoes and fried okra. Both were excellent! Plus I got a fried nut-encrusted white fish that was delicate and delicious. The restaurant gets busy, so be aware of your timing. I went at an off time (mid afternoon) and was lucky that there was no line. I can understand why it's so popular!