“Medical Visit MUSC”

Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Medical Area
Ranked #49 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

Staff was very friendly. Rooms are nice, clean centrally located to MUSC, The Citadel, College of Charleston. Rates are perfect. Complementary breakfast that was good. They were very understanding we had a later appointment and was no problem with check out. I became a rewards member good for them. We love Charleston but wish we were coming under better conditions. But sadly to say this young couple will be frequent residents here. So see you in a couple weeks. Lol for the night shift clerk we will bring his chocolate milk.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
David W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Medical Area, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2017

Dear TheWillaimsFamily516,

On behalf of the whole team at the Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown/Medical Area we are thankful that you were our guest. We think that our staff makes the difference and are glad that you found our location, breakfast and rates to be prefect for your needs. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 14 October 2017

I stayed in this hotel on account of a friend donating bone marrow at MUSC. We had a great time and the hotel staff was INCREDIBLY friendly. They were super sweet and helped us as much ad they could. Only problem about this hotel is the construction going on outside all through the night, which is no ones fault. Other than that and some parking issues, everything was pretty good quality. The housekeeper even left a sweet little note on our dresser.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Bailey,

Thank you for being our guest. I am glad that my staff was able to make such a great impression on you during your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

The bride suggested this hotel because it was close to the airport and wedding venue. There was construction going on the outside. Parking was limited on paved surfaces and overflow was in a gravel parking lot. The hotel itself was old and needs updating. Our room was a disappointment. The bathroom shower grout had mold in it, the light had dust in vent, there was only one bath towel. The lampshades were ripped and full of dust. The air conditioning unit was old and blowers were filthy.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Jennifer,

On behalf of the team I am truly sorry that your experience with us for this once and a life time event was less than stellar. Rest assured that I will be sharing this review with my operations teams and will make sure we fix the deficiencies that you noted. If there is anything I can do for you now or in the future please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at dwoodstein@northph.com.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Let me start by saying that I have stayed in a fair number of HiEX, including several on this trip. No other bad experiences to report in this chain, and never anything this appalling in any other hotel regardless of country, location or brand.

We stayed in this hotel for three nights over labour weekend this year, unfortunately making it impossible to make other arrangements at late notice (read, after check-in)

At check-in, we were given a room on,the ground floor, off the car park. We walk into the room, turn on the lights in the bathroom, and a couple of bugs scurry for air vent and behind mirror.
OK, unfortunate, went back to the front desk. They then proceed to ask what the bugs look like, the size, and say it's fine, they're just bugs from the palm trees that come in when it rains.

I'm in no position to comment, but I was a bit dumbstruck. When they realized I was really a bit pissed off they proceeded to move us to another room.

No bugs, but filth all over the place. Sitcky fridge top, ancient dirt all around the bay window, the aircon..gunge in the bathroom. Basically, both dirty and nothing a cursory clean will get rid of.
Obviously mention it to the front desk (already around 1h palava by this time) where the manager then tells us OK, we will send someone up while you are out for dinner.

Obviously when we get back, nothing changed. Even a little a bit of paper we had left just in front of the door too see what happened didn't move an inch. I strongly suspect no one came up, but who's to know. Nothing got cleaned anyway.
This was also obvious from a fruit sticker (there when we got there to a 'fresh' room..!) on the bedspread...that was still on the bedspread.

So we stayed on, a bit resigned. Next day, we try to use the in house self laundry, but the drier broke down with our stuff inside.

Other than that, great stay..haha. Construction work just accross the road all day and night, so lorries, construction noise, and some kind of dust cloud all over the place.

The only bright side is that the front desk staff were quite nice, although the whole staff looked exhausted and overall rather beat.

Sadly that can't shake the overall feeling of muck, and the to-your-face attitude of the manager telling us something we found to be untrue.

Definitely better options in Charleston, quality and location wise.
Would not go back, even if it was the only option in town.

Room Tip: Tried two and both were bad. Higher was less bad.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Shadowwisps,

On behalf of the whole hotel team I am deeply sorry about your experience with us. Our rooms should be well conditioned, clean, and most of all pest free the first time you arrive. I will share your comments with my team as it is unacceptable that this was the experience you had. If there is any way I could make this right to you please don't hesitate to reach out to me at dwoodstein@northph.com.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

This my my first time staying in a Holiday Inn Express. I did not realize that meant smaller, more compact rooms. In general I prefer larger rooms without having to pay a premium for a suite.

Even though this hotel is in Charleston, it did include free parking. There was an ample supply of trollies to bring in luggage. The staff was friendly and check-in was quick and easy.

The breakfast was nice and there were sufficient choices. I was told I must try the new automatic pancake machine. I did, and do not recommend it. The pancakes are thin and on the rare side. I do understand many people will enjoy it and it is safer and cleaner than flip waffle makers.

A big plus for me was having a refrigerator in the room. I was free to take restaurant leftovers with me.

I try to avoid the growing trend of "pet friendly" hotels whenever possible simply because not all pets and pet owners are respectful of others. I found waste on the sidewalk at this hotel and should not have to sidestep when carrying luggage.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east have better views and less construction noise.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
David W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Medical Area, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Thank you for your review of our property. We were glad to have you as our guest. I am thrilled that you found our services to be perfect for your needs. I will make sure that I pass the note to my grounds team to take a more proactive approach when dealing with pets. We do hope to welcome you back soon!